GP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosie16

I have just been talking to my GP for some advice about loosing weight because i'm at risk of diabetes 2 i have cut out a lot of food and reduced my portions and increased the exercises i can do at least 48,000 steps in a week at my age 73 i thought that was pretty good but the weight is still not coming off i'm not obsessed but i do need to loose weight.The advice he gave me was to starve my self 2 days a week he gives that advice to all his diabetic patience?i'm dreading that i'm hungry all the time now.

It really depends on what you mean by 'other type' as that will affect what suggestions people may have as will any medication you may be on.
When you say cut out a lot of food it depends on what foods you have cut out.
A dietary approach for both losing weight and reducing or keeping blood glucose where it needs to be is a low carbohydrate regime. This link may give you some ideas for modifying your diet. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
Some do find a fasting regime works but whatever you do has to be enjoyable otherwise you will not be able to sustain it.
Exercise is always good, brisk walking is beneficial. You are doing a reasonable number of steps but how beneficial they are depends on if they are just ambling or walking purposefully.

Hi. The GPs advice was strange. Did he/she suggest reducing your carbs and to have enough fats and proteins to keep you feeling full? My super DN understands that but many GPs don't have modern nutrition training.

Has your thyroid function been tested?

Hi
Sorry i'm late in replying to all your messages i had my covid and flue jab last week i have been feeling a bit rough,thank you for all your replys i do appreciate it.My GP did not suggest having my Thyroid function tested the only addvice he gave me was to starve myself 2 days a week?

Hi. The GPs advice was strange. Did he/she suggest reducing your carbs and to have enough fats and proteins to keep you feeling full? My super DN understands that but many GPs don't have modern nutrition training.
Hi he did not suggest any thing all he said was to starve myself for 2 days a week i have reduced my carbs i'm not a lover of bread a loaf will last me 2 to 3 weeks.I am going to ask to see the DN i have a blood test on the 18th to see how i'm doing?

Hi he did not suggest any thing all he said was to starve myself for 2 days a week i have reduced my carbs i'm not a lover of bread a loaf will last me 2 to 3 weeks.I am going to ask to see the DN i have a blood test on the 18th to see how i'm doing?
Some people do find a fasting regime works but for many it is not for them. A sustained low carb or calorie approach is a more realistic option.
By having meals with healthy fats and protein as well as veg and salads is less likely that you will feel hungry.
Don't forget it is not just bread but potatoes, rice, pasta, pastry, breakfast cereals and tropical fruits that are high carb foods.

It really depends on what you mean by 'other type' as that will affect what suggestions people may have as will any medication you may be on.
When you say cut out a lot of food it depends on what foods you have cut out.
A dietary approach for both losing weight and reducing or keeping blood glucose where it needs to be is a low carbohydrate regime. This link may give you some ideas for modifying your diet. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
Some do find a fasting regime works but whatever you do has to be enjoyable otherwise you will not be able to sustain it.
Exercise is always good, brisk walking is beneficial. You are doing a reasonable number of steps but how beneficial they are depends on if they are just ambling or walking purposefully.
Hi
I can't remember saying 'other type' i'm not on any medication yet that is what i want to avoid i have reduced my carbs a lot i didn't think it was safe to starve yourself especially at my age and i have to eat food with some of the medication i'm on.I exercise every day on my treadmill i can't go out because i have agrophibia.Thank you for the link you sent me i will have a look later.

Hi
I can't remember saying 'other type' i'm not on any medication yet that is what i want to avoid i have reduced my carbs a lot i didn't think it was safe to starve yourself especially at my age and i have to eat food with some of the medication i'm on.I exercise every day on my treadmill i can't go out because i have agrophibia.Thank you for the link you sent me i will have a look later.
It is just that in your signature it says 'other type'

Hi
Having 2 days a week where they only eat 500 or so calories that day (and not consecutive days) works for some people but if it doesn't work for you there are other options.

I eat every 12 hours or so - I am not strict about it as it works for me.
I am never hungry as I eat protein and fats, the essential nutrients.
There is no need to go hungry as long as you are not eating sugars and starch - which push up blood glucose and that has to be removed into whatever storage can be found in the body.
I avoid weighing myself, I was berated about my weight for decades and having lost around 50lb eating low carb and feeling happy I decided that I was old enough at almost 70 to be childishly wilful - I am 71 now and still not weighing myself.

Hi , I can remember years ago that a locum told me after I was looking for for a diet that would suit me.

His reply , don't eat !!

Hi , I can remember years ago that a locum told me after I was looking for for a diet that would suit me.

His reply , don't eat !!

Yes, mine was much the same.
Unfortunately I ignored her.

His reply , don't eat !!
A bit like the reaction when I visited my GP some years ago with D & V which had gone on for two weeks and he said Oh well you could do with losing some weight.
Very helpful, NOT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back