GP who said Marks & Spencer's 'overweight' real women are promoting obesity is wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I'm a great fan of M&S, and their recent campaign featuring real women is very welcome.
As Chair of the All Party Parliamentary Group on Body Image it is refreshing and encouraging to see an advertiser embrace greater body diversity in the images they use.
Our recent Parliamentary Inquiry found that women are 200 per cent more likely to buy a product if the models advertising them look more like them.

However, to my mild amusement and dismay I read that GP Dr Ellie Cannon actually thinks that including such a diverse assortment of models of different sizes is complicit in promoting obesity -
How wrong she is.
I am sure both the GP and I share some common ground - namely that we want people to lead happy, healthy lives.
But the doctor seems to be confusing two very different issues here - an advertiser with the courage to kick the habit of using the same old stick thin or unattainable shape models or celebrities; and the high levels of the population who are classed as overweight or obese.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ple-utterly-wrong-says-MP-Caroline-Nokes.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back