GP versus DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

helsbells

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I don’t know if anyone will be able to help but I think I just need to rant! I’m so annoyed. Does anyone else find that their GP is just approaching their diabetes with zero interest and understanding? Do they not work with the diabetes nurses at all?

I was put on metformin last week by the nurse - slowly on one a day with a view to increase gradually. I’ve been prepared for side effects and told that this is likely to happen on and off until I’m on the full dose, and then they’ll either settle down, or they won’t and if they don’t I’ll go onto slow release.

I’ve been called for jury service next week so have spoken to court this morning about the side effects and they’ve said it’s gonna be best to defer for a few weeks to let things settle, and to get a letter from my doctors to confirm.

I’ve asked for this and first reply was ‘no, just stop the medication till the trial finishes’ - I went back to them and said I would rather not, and the court have already begun the deferral process I just need confirmation for their records now. His new reply ‘I’m stopping your metformin and moving you to slow release - please collect them tonight and start immediately’

Am I missing something here? Surely you would give it more than one week before changing it (my side effects are that the urge for a number 2 can just come from nowhere and I HAVE to go there and then. I’m not Being sick or in pain etc. it’s tolerable but just not convenient in a court setting). But also, you can get them on slow release as well can’t you? Am I being thick?

I never see the GP for my Diabetes, and have always seen the Diabetes nurse. It has been that way for 20 years.
You are right some people do still have side effects on the slow release.

Are talking here about hospital DSN, if so ask them for letter instead.
The DSN runs a clinic at my GP surgery and some others and I saw her there. I have asked for her to call me tomorrow when she is back in my surgery. Honestly man, I can’t believe how obstructive they’ve been. The same GP tried to refuse my medication as well last week

I never see the GP for my Diabetes, and have always seen the Diabetes nurse. It has been that way for 20 years.
You are right some people do still have side effects on the slow release.
No I haven’t seen them either but my request was passed to him rather than the nurse today. So frustrated.

I don’t know if anyone will be able to help but I think I just need to rant! I’m so annoyed. Does anyone else find that their GP is just approaching their diabetes with zero interest and understanding? Do they not work with the diabetes nurses at all?

I was put on metformin last week by the nurse - slowly on one a day with a view to increase gradually. I’ve been prepared for side effects and told that this is likely to happen on and off until I’m on the full dose, and then they’ll either settle down, or they won’t and if they don’t I’ll go onto slow release.

I’ve been called for jury service next week so have spoken to court this morning about the side effects and they’ve said it’s gonna be best to defer for a few weeks to let things settle, and to get a letter from my doctors to confirm.

I’ve asked for this and first reply was ‘no, just stop the medication till the trial finishes’ - I went back to them and said I would rather not, and the court have already begun the deferral process I just need confirmation for their records now. His new reply ‘I’m stopping your metformin and moving you to slow release - please collect them tonight and start immediately’

Am I missing something here? Surely you would give it more than one week before changing it (my side effects are that the urge for a number 2 can just come from nowhere and I HAVE to go there and then. I’m not Being sick or in pain etc. it’s tolerable but just not convenient in a court setting). But also, you can get them on slow release as well can’t you? Am I being thick?
Not at all - I was totally incapacitated taking Metformin so I understand the problems it can cause, but I think all you can do is inform the court that your GP will not give you a letter but insists that you continue to take Metformin, so you might continue to have the same problems, you just can't tell.
If you first contact the court and then send a letter with this information and apologies I can't see what more you could do. If you include permission to contact your GP about it then I am sure they will do so if necessary. Someone has to show some common sense.

The DSN runs a clinic at my GP surgery and some others and I saw her there. I have asked for her to call me tomorrow when she is back in my surgery. Honestly man, I can’t believe how obstructive they’ve been. The same GP tried to refuse my medication as well last week

Tbh I have nothing to do with my gp when it comes to diabetes, all they do is prescribe meds.

Stick with DSN mate, they should do letter & be more helpful.

Makes sense to change to slow release and go to the trial, if you’re having side effects you might as well fix the cause than let diabetes dictate your life.

Not at all - I was totally incapacitated taking Metformin so I understand the problems it can cause, but I think all you can do is inform the court that your GP will not give you a letter but insists that you continue to take Metformin, so you might continue to have the same problems, you just can't tell.
If you first contact the court and then send a letter with this information and apologies I can't see what more you could do. If you include permission to contact your GP about it then I am sure they will do so if necessary. Someone has to show some common sense.
Yeah that’s all I can do I suppose. The court are happy for me to move to a later date a few weeks down the line I just don’t know why the GP is being so awkward.

Last edited:
Makes sense to change to slow release and go to the trial, if you’re having side effects you might as well fix the cause than let diabetes dictate your life.
I’m very new to the medication and was led to believe that side effects are normal when you first start them and if they don’t settle down in a couple of weeks, then that’s when you would move to slow release. Is that not the case? I am not sure as been told so many different things.

Im not objecting to doing my duty it was just rearranging to a little bit later in the year while I get used to new meds that’s all.

I’m very new to the medication and was led to believe that side effects are normal when you first start them and if they don’t settle down in a couple of weeks, then that’s when you would move to slow release. Is that not the case? I am not sure as been told so many different things.

Im not objecting to doing my duty it was just rearranging to a little bit later in the year while I get used to new meds that’s all.
If you’re having side effects on the first dose you’ll probably continue having side effects when you increase the dose, so that’s at least a month of side effects. I’d be really pleased with the GP making it so easy to switch to slow release to minimise the side effects and change over ASAP.

If you have started to have side effects in the first week and at one tablet - that does seem to indicate a sensitivity on the high side and might be just the beginning of them too.
It is true that for some they develop a tolerance, but it got so bad for me, on one tablet a day, that I could not even go downstairs.

If you’re having side effects on the first dose you’ll probably continue having side effects when you increase the dose, so that’s at least a month of side effects. I’d be really pleased with the GP making it so easy to switch to slow release to minimise the side effects and change over ASAP.
Ah interesting - I’ll get them tonight then

If you have started to have side effects in the first week and at one tablet - that does seem to indicate a sensitivity on the high side and might be just the beginning of them too.
It is true that for some they develop a tolerance, but it got so bad for me, on one tablet a day, that I could not even go downstairs.
Oh god I don’t want that

Oh god I don’t want that
I would not wish it on anyone.
Worst few weeks of my life.
Some do settle down and tolerate it, and I got a really nice professional quality carpet and upholstery cleaner as a result....

I would not wish it on anyone.
Worst few weeks of my life.
Some do settle down and tolerate it, and I got a really nice professional quality carpet and upholstery cleaner as a result....
out of necessity I take it? lol

out of necessity I take it? lol
Don’t be put off by Drummers experience. Haven’t heard of anyone else reporting effects as severe as that.

Don’t be put off by Drummers experience
I take metformin and not everyone has such a bad experience at all. The worst I've had is a weird metallic taste in my mouth when I first started them, no digestive issues whatsoever. I think it's the luck of the draw if you do or don't get on with them. Hope your tummy feels a bit better on the slow release ones, remember to take them with food to reduce the digestive badness. Sorry to hear the run around you've had from your surgery, hope it all settles down too.
Sarah

I notice you are only just diabetic so not taking the metformin for a few weeks as long as you are making some dietary changes wouldn't be a problem. You may find that you only need the lowest dose anyway to have an impact on blood glucose.

Never heard of anyone else as bad as drummer, but she does seem to suffer on every med.
Personally I was fine on both normal and slow release, and as has been said, even if you decide that it's too chancy taking them for the trial, (based on your personal reaction), just hold off a day of two before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back