GP Surgery Support when newly diagnosed

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrhLeeds

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes in late November last year. I then had a 'phone appointment with a diabetic nurse at my GP's surgery in mid December. The appointment was very generic and the only thing that was personalised about it was being told what my HbA1C results was. It was only picked up through an annual check but I have never been asked about any symptoms I have.

Is it normal for the initial appointment to be over the phone and for there to be no discussion about any symptoms experienced which might now be explained by the diabetes diagnosis? My GP surgery is normally very good at offering face-to-face appointments and were one of the first to do so post Covid.

I am attending a diabetes education course next Monday, so am hoping for more information/support then. I am also having a blood test on Tuesday to check for B12/folate deficiencies.

Probably "normal for nowadays" I think.

What was your HbA1c? I'm not type 2 but I hope the education course is helpful and answers some of your questions but there is vast amount of knowledge and experience on this forum to tap into.

I think, although I'm happy to be corrected, that as Type 2 comes on slowly there can often be no symptoms and even with my own rather dramatic diagnosis I ignored, lived with and normalised (ignored!) a lot of the symptoms I was experiencing until ignoring them was no longer an option.

Probably "normal for nowadays" I think.

What was your HbA1c? I'm not type 2 but I hope the education course is helpful and answers some of your questions but there is vast amount of knowledge and experience on this forum to tap into.

I think, although I'm happy to be corrected, that as Type 2 comes on slowly there can often be no symptoms and even with my own rather dramatic diagnosis I ignored, lived with and normalised (ignored!) a lot of the symptoms I was experiencing until ignoring them was no longer an option.
Thank you for replying. I have various "symptoms" which didn't seem worth bothering about by themselves but now I can see they may be linked to my diagnosis. I'll see what Monday brings. I opted for a face-to-face course, as it's always useful to hear what others have to say and ask.

Hello IrhLeeds
I was first diagnosed in September 2023. Test results and initial discussion with diabetes nurse was over the phone but ended with agreeing an appointment for a face to face consultation about 3 weeks later. The follow up was a discussion about the results, any symptoms, a foot inspection and testing the sensitivity of the nerves in my feet, confirmation that I'd been referred for an eye scan (the appointment for that came about 4 weeks later). Weight, height, blood pressure etc also checked plus a urine sample to check on kidney function. I expect that different surgeries do vary, but it wouldn't hurt to give them a call and ask about how they intend to follow up your diagnosis and perhaps refer to the experiences of others on this forum.
Good luck!

I was diagnosed august last year and to be honest my DN at our surgery is useless, almost as bad as the Diabetic clinic at the hospital who apart from giving me a machine and one go at injecting insulin on discharge.

I had more help from the pharmacist who advised me to increase my dose until things were more stable, since i have seen the GP who said i was doing ok, and gave me Libra 2 he is the only one who has done anything positive.

Ive not been given an appointment for eye check or feet etc

Thank you for replying. I have various "symptoms" which didn't seem worth bothering about by themselves but now I can see they may be linked to my diagnosis. I'll see what Monday brings. I opted for a face-to-face course, as it's always useful to hear what others have to say and ask.
A diagnosis can come as a surprise for many people but can sometimes be a relief as it can explain symptoms they have been experiencing though many do not get any unless their blood glucose is really quite high. At least you were told what your HbA1C is, many are not and that is useful as it indicates how much work you will need to do. You don't mention that you have been prescribed any medication which may mean your HbA1C is not too high and your GP is giving you the opportunity to make some lifestyle changes, increasing exercise if you can but the most important is dietary changes in reducing carbohydrates in your diet and this is where people often get confused as they are told to cut down of sugar whereas it it all carbohydrates which convert to glucose so it is foods like potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, breakfast cereals as well as the more obvious cakes, biscuits, pastry and sugary drinks. Sadly the NHS gives the impression that changing to wholemeal or brown version is the thing to do whereas they are just as high in carbs as the white. People are told low fat whereas fats do not convert to glucose so there is no need to go low fat unless needed for other medical reasons.
You may find this link helpful with some ideas for meals and the introduction may prepare you for the course by giving you some ideas of questions you want to ask. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back