GP ringing re test results

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkjude

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have been type 2 since March 2018 and this is the first time my GP is ringing me to discuss the results. he asked for HBA1c, kidney function, full blood count and cholesterol. Is this normal protocol?

I have been type 2 since March 2018 and this is the first time my GP is ringing me to discuss the results. he asked for HBA1c, kidney function, full blood count and cholesterol. Is this normal protocol?
Normally only do that if a problem. Or you have a fantastic A1c and he wants to reduce meds 🙂

I always get a full spectrum of tests.
Three pages, and no, I have no issues, and have had normal results for years.
Absolutely nothing to read into it, other than you have a good GP.

A phone call will likely mean that your blood sugars are high, and you need to take some action. Have you had any symptoms of high blood sugars, or do you have any preference on what kind of action you’d like to take (medication, exercise, dietary changes, a combination of those) if your blood sugars are up?

My HBA1c was 47 so my gp was really pleased especially as I am not taking any medication and never have. He was shocked that I have managed to lower it from 84 with diet and exercise alone. My cholesterol was a bit high though so we discussed statins. Other results all good.

That is good, well done!

My HBA1c was 47 so my gp was really pleased especially as I am not taking any medication and never have. He was shocked that I have managed to lower it from 84 with diet and exercise alone. My cholesterol was a bit high though so we discussed statins. Other results all good.
Well done sounds like a good result to me 🙂

I usually check my online GP record after a test so that I know why the GP may be phoning. The tendency is that the GP now only phones if there is an issue. However, I have been diagnosed type 2 since mid 2009 and in the early days there were a few more GP appointments simply to check on progress but then we did not have Covid to reduce face to face contact.

woo fantastic result!

That is good, well done!
Tghankyou
I usually check my online GP record after a test so that I know why the GP may be phoning. The tendency is that the GP now only phones if there is an issue. However, I have been diagnosed type 2 since mid 2009 and in the early days there were a few more GP appointments simply to check on progress but then we did not have Covid to reduce face to face contact.
we cant access our medical record online but its protocol at my surgery that someone rings you apparently if the tests are not just HBA1c regardless of whether the results are good or not so good. I think this only right.

Many congratulations. Great result. Well done!
Out of curiosity, are they starting you on statins or giving you time to see if levels come down themselves?
If you losing weight on low carb that does seem to increase cholesterol levels temporarily for some people but then it can resolve itself.

Many congratulations. Great result. Well done!
Out of curiosity, are they starting you on statins or giving you time to see if levels come down themselves?
If you losing weight on low carb that does seem to increase cholesterol levels temporarily for some people but then it can resolve itself.
Thankyou. I initially lost 2 stone but have stabilised at about 1 stone 12 less. He said my cholesterol,has never been great but its up to me whether I want to take a statin or not. I am doing a few tweaks to my diet but the trouble is oats push my glucose levels up so its a catch 22

Can you try a different source of soluble fibre that is low carb instead of the oats which are obviously carb rich.... they spike me too.
I use psyllium husk and chia seeds to increase my soluble fibre intake. This improves my gut/bowel health and the fibre helps with cholesterol levels I believe. Chia seeds are also high in healthy Omega 3 Fatty Acids as well as fibre, so a bit of a super food, but low carb, so a great choice. They can be added to most foods but I have mine with psyllium husk in a drink on a morning, which means that I get plenty of fluids because I don't drink enough during the day. I think you are pretty good at drinking plenty from reading your other posts so you could just sprinkle on your food.

I do use flax seeds and porridge oats is what the dietician mentioned because the oats apparently draw cholesterol away from the body.Will take a look at the ones you mention

Looks good.
Guess the GP was checking how you hammered it down, and it wasn't a random result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back