gp refusing repeat prescription

Status
Not open for further replies.
can my gp withold my repeat prescription if my smear is overdue. including insulin, blood pressure meds?
No! There’s no compulsion to have a smear. I opted out of my last one, but they did ask me to sign and return a form saying I had declined it, and they just noted it on my records.

Regardless of the smear issue, they do not have the legal authority to withhold life sustaining medication, however in practice, if they will not release a prescription then that is what they are doing. Threaten to report them to the relevant authorities if they persist...ie the CCG.
Some people experience this problem when their medication is due for annual review so check that is not the case and just coincidence that it is linked to your smear being overdue. If you need a medication review then a simple phone call should resolve it.

can my GP withhold my repeat prescription if my smear is overdue? including insulin, and blood pressure meds?
Hi @lizzie63, I'm sorry to hear you are having grief with your GP. As others have said your smear is not connected to your prescription for life-surviving drugs like insulin. Where are you seen for your Diabetes checkups, at your GP's surgery? If so you could make a complaint to the Practice Manager or to your Health Authority. If you usually go to a hospital for your reviews, ask your DSN or consultant to get involved to ensure they give you the lifesaving drugs!

Mine get withheld pending an annual review, ironically it's just statins, but I still need full bloods.
I can usually phone up for a month or two, rather than order online though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back