GP refusing insulin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
I am overdue a 6 month diabetic check, a variety of reasons, some of which are the GP themselves not having any appointments that i can make. As a result they will only give me a weeks supply of insulin at a time. I have run out on several occasions which is awful. Is this even legal?
Feels very wrong.

I am overdue a 6 month diabetic check, a variety of reasons, some of which are the GP themselves not having any appointments that i can make. As a result they will only give me a weeks supply of insulin at a time. I have run out on several occasions which is awful. Is this even legal?
Feels very wrong.
i would write a complaint insulin is not something they should playing around it keeps people alive(my old doctors i had to fright with about several supplys to the point i switched surgerrys)

i would write a complaint insulin is not something they should playing around it keeps people alive(my old doctors i had to fright with about several supplys to the point i switched surgerrys)
In the process of switching GP's as this isn't the first time I have had to grovel to get insulin, fair enough I am overdue a check but surprised they are allowed to do this. Sounds like you have had similar experience. Hopefully switching will work.

In the process of switching GP's as this isn't the first time I have had to grovel to get insulin, fair enough I am overdue a check but surprised they are allowed to do this. Sounds like you have had similar experience. Hopefully switching will work.
I really don't think they are allowed to do it(refusing insulin it just plan dangerous) have you got a team in the hospital that can fight your case?.. now I am looking to hcange GPs again for other reasons

This sounds absurd. I would complain to the Practice Manager and contact the PPG group. You should be allowed 1 month's supply. Do you do your prescriptions online as I do? Do you have online access to your surgeries system? The surgery must give you that. My prescription approval ran out last month and the surgery arranged a GP call out of hours from another surgery as the pharmacist had left and the DN was busy. I guess I'm lucky having a very positive surgery.

This sounds absurd. I would complain to the Practice Manager and contact the PPG group. You should be allowed 1 month's supply. Do you do your prescriptions online as I do? Do you have online access to your surgeries system? The surgery must give you that. My prescription approval ran out last month and the surgery arranged a GP call out of hours from another surgery as the pharmacist had left and the DN was busy. I guess I'm lucky having a very positive surgery.
The practice manager was "busy" and will only respond to written complaints. I can order on the app but its set to give me a weeks worth and I cant reorder within 28 days. I can request another prescription in writing if I take it into the surgery which I cant do for a few days and they refuse to do anything over the phone. Seems to be how understanding the individual surgery is, mine are very strict.

Can the DUK helpline advise on wording for a complaint maybe?
We have a few people here who've worked in GP practices and who might be able to help as well but I can't recall who they are!

The practice manager was "busy" and will only respond to written complaints. I can order on the app but its set to give me a weeks worth and I cant reorder within 28 days. I can request another prescription in writing if I take it into the surgery which I cant do for a few days and they refuse to do anything over the phone. Seems to be how understanding the individual surgery is, mine are very strict.
They're being dangerously stupid, so please continue complaining! Partha Kar has written about it, https://nhssugardoc.blogspot.com/2021/08/holding-to-ransom.html

The only time I've heard of this before - was when the patient had acknowledged longstanding mental health issues and had already tried to do themselves in with insulin - so even they understood why the NHS were severely limiting access to it.

Most of us wouldn't have a clue how much insulin was one week's supply, not being on fixed doses and no week being 'average' - for all I know or anyone else does, I could get knocked over crossing the road tomorrow - or catch Covid or Beri Beri and suddenly need multiple times the amount of it I need today.

Basic right to have insulin, urgently complain to your local MP & get in touch with diabetes clinic at hospital & get them involved, either than or go down to gp surgery & demand to be seen by Dr asap, think that's what I'd do if honest.

Thanks for all the helpful replies, I made quite a bit of fuss and the diabetic nurse called later on in the day apologising and blaming the new ordering system, my repeats have been put back to normal.
The GP and Nursing staff seem to understand but you cant get past the receptionists to talk to them, their policy is to refuse any requests for medication that do not come in writing. I have started a complaint that includes the issue of restricting insulin prescriptions when overdue a 6 month review. I am changing GP because of this so hopefully it wont happen again but still putting in a formal complaint as this will be happening to many others.
I had a similar problem a few months ago, helping my mum move house 250 miles away from where I live, the removals men accidentally packed up my kit and took off to the overnight depot before i realised. The local chemist had meters, strips, pens and insulin, told me to ask my GP who could email through a prescription. Had the same issue, they point blank refused to help, had to drive 500 miles to cobble together some spares and old pens i had at home. Admittedly my fault but shameful lack of understanding from GP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back