GP Practice advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBuzz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi everyone, I've just had a telephone appointment with the practice nurse, it was only ever intended to be a short call to book in a full check at the end of the month and check on medication. She asked me how I was doing with the gliclazide and I said I had a couple of problems being that since starting to take it I've struggled to lose weight when I had been losing fairly well before hand and I've been getting headaches since increasing the dosage of gliclazide from 80mg a day to 160mg a day (80mg morning and evening).

I felt like I could then barely get a word in, the weight loss comment didn't get a response and was dismissively told that the headaches would just be because my blood sugar was lower now, even though at this point she hadn't asked about my finger prick tests at all. She then said not to increase the gliclazide any further and went straight into offering a date for the next appointment and wrapping things up. I'm sure I should have pressed more for answers, but I hadn't been expecting the call at the time it came so didn't have my notebook with me with the prompts I'd written myself.

My wife is already unhappy with the care I've been getting as it's felt all along that whilst I was told type 2 was reversible at the first appointment, everything since seems to have been it's ok, we'll just increase your medication. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it but really didn't feel like I was really part of the process today at all and just having it done to me. Which is making me wonder about either asking to be treated by someone different at the surgery (I don't know how many others there might be who could) or to even change to a different surgery which could be more local to me anyway. Though I have doubts about this because there's no guarantee that any of them will be any better or if they might be worse. Am I best to wait till the appointment in person in a few weeks time and see how I get on there before making any rash decisions? Has anyone else moved to a different person in their current practice or moed to a different GP practice altogether? Did it help, how did you choose where to go?

Ask to speak the doctor. Being a recently diagnosed person you need proper answers. A few weeks is too long to wait.

What are your blood glucose tests at the moment? Also what was your hba1c?

I got more information doing my own research and finding out about how adjusting my diet alcan have create massive change but its start of journey and I also prefer speaking to Dr's/nurses face to face about things I get more out of it.

Ask to speak the doctor. Being a recently diagnosed person you need proper answers. A few weeks is too long to wait.
Thanks, I’ll get in touch with them again and see what I can get. My actual GP was meant to call me just after my diagnosis and never did, so we’ll see what I can get!

What are your blood glucose tests at the moment? Also what was your hba1c?

I got more information doing my own research and finding out about how adjusting my diet alcan have create massive change but its start of journey and I also prefer speaking to Dr's/nurses face to face about things I get more out of it.
Generally getting between 6 and 7.5 first thing, they rose a bit over Christmas and are back down now. My first hba1c was 135 at the end of October, down to 122 a week later. That’s being done again in February.

I’ve asked for face to face appointments but mostly get very rushed phone calls instead.

Generally getting between 6 and 7.5 first thing, they rose a bit over Christmas and are back down now. My first hba1c was 135 at the end of October, down to 122 a week later. That’s being done again in February.

I’ve asked for face to face appointments but mostly get very rushed phone calls instead.
Not so bad in the morning with them readings what we're they back in October?

That is a good 3 months when they plan to do them again which is right if it was me just keep an eye on readings and that should make a massive drop for your next readings.

Not so bad in the morning with them readings what we're they back in October?

That is a good 3 months when they plan to do them again which is right if it was me just keep an eye on readings and that should make a massive drop for your next readings.
On diagnosis it was 24, but that was after breakfast. A couple of days later when I got my kit it was 14. But had made big diet changes for those two days already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back