GP increasing medication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mick B1966

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My GP has doubled my dosage of metformin just over a month after my diagnosis despite not having a conversation with me, explaining the reason or having had any access to my BG readings (which have been good. 6.5 avg last 30 days).I found out when ordering my repeat prescription.
Before I ring to express my mild displeasure, does anybody have a similar experience or insight as to why they may have done this?

My GP has doubled my dosage of metformin just over a month after my diagnosis despite not having a conversation with me, explaining the reason or having had any access to my BG readings (which have been good. 6.5 avg last 30 days).I found out when ordering my repeat prescription.
Before I ring to express my mild displeasure, does anybody have a similar experience or insight as to why they may have done this?
It’s completely standard to start at a small dose and increase it either after a few weeks or a month until you get to the normal dose. It has to be built up slowly to reduce side effects.

It’s completely standard to start at a small dose and increase it either after a few weeks or a month until you get to the normal dose. It has to be built up slowly to reduce side effects.
Thanks. That makes me feel a bit better. That was never explained to me and I thought any decision would wait until we had an appointment

As a type 2 myself I have concluded that some GPs and other HCPs are decades out of date when it comes to advice and treatment for quite a few of us - actively discouraging testing, maintaining that it is a progressive and incurable condition and pooh pooing the idea that simply altering what is eaten can have any effect.
The advice 'smile, nod and ignore' has been put forward as the correct response - I could not possibly comment.
You might perhaps contact your GP and reveal your blood glucose levels, and ask if it is necessary to up the dose - increasing doses can start off the unpleasant side effect of Metformin even if you've not been affected so far, and that would not be nice over Christmas.

As a type 2 myself I have concluded that some GPs and other HCPs are decades out of date when it comes to advice and treatment for quite a few of us - actively discouraging testing, maintaining that it is a progressive and incurable condition and pooh pooing the idea that simply altering what is eaten can have any effect.
The advice 'smile, nod and ignore' has been put forward as the correct response - I could not possibly comment.
You might perhaps contact your GP and reveal your blood glucose levels, and ask if it is necessary to up the dose - increasing doses can start off the unpleasant side effect of Metformin even if you've not been affected so far, and that would not be nice over Christmas.
Thank you. I have heard that said although not to me. I will continue with current dose until my meeting with the diabetes team in January if my levels stay good (might be a bit of a struggle in the upcoming week but giving it a go)

Hi Travellor. I am currently on 500mg twice a day

Perfectly normal.
That is how Metformin us prescribed.
Start on 500mg, after a month it ramps up to 1000mg.
Personally I would take the medication as it has been prescribed for you.

I have read previously that metformin doesn’t have much impact until 1500mg, and the standard full dose is 2000 so 500 twice a day really isn’t a strong dose or anything

I was on 2 x 500mg for over ten years, so it doesn't necessarily follow that you have to go to the max dose. I would certainly query it (rather than expressing displeasure 😉) & ask for a review after three months, unless your readings increase. I would hope you'd get bloods done at that time to check how HbA1c is responding to the meds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back