GP and testing - trekpole

Status
Not open for further replies.

trekpole

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have been testing my glucose because I was borderline. It was 14.1 so I went to the GP did another blood test and now it is diabetes. He will not prescribe the strips because it is diet controlled. I asked him how I would know it was working if I could not test myself. he told me to go out and buy them because the Health Board will not fund them. I have been swimming 4 times a week, gym 4 times a week, green tea, low sugar, no alcohol for two months and not an ounce have i lost. I know i am overweight and am getting very depressed and anxious. I told the gp and his reaction was a shrug of the shoulders. I have had problems in the past with BPD and self-harm and his attitude was even worse. Still, at least I am entitled to one hour's advice with the nurse.

trkpole, welcoem to the forum. Is there another GP in the practice you could see? Doesn't seem like you have a very good relationship with the current one.
From your post it sounds like you have type2, you might want to change your profile to avoid confusion.

Hi trekpole, welcome to the forum 🙂 I moved your post to it's own thread so it wouldn't get confused with am64's.

Don't lose heart! You are already doing great work to help you manage your diabetes. Don't let this doctor's attitude demoralise you, you are doing this fr yourself. Is there another doctor you can see instead? I changed from seeing my usual GP shortly after diagnosis and the one I see now is much, much better. Regarding the strips - unfortunately it's very common fr doctors to refuse to prescribe them. What some people do is buy their own for a while and record the results they get and show these to their doctor to prove how the results are helping to improve management of their diabetes - the doctors will sometimes then agree to prescribe, so it is worth a try.

You will get lots of support here for all aspects of your diabetes and your efforts to lose weight (have a look at our Weight Loss section). If you have any questions, please ask and we'll try our best to help 🙂

trkpole, welcoem to the forum. Is there another GP in the practice you could see? Doesn't seem like you have a very good relationship with the current one.
From your post it sounds like you have type2, you might want to change your profile to avoid confusion.

This is the 4th GP I have tried. They are pretty much all useless. Did not help me at all when I self-harmed and I fear the same now. I was kicked out of my previous GP's and excluded from out of hours and NHS 24 because of self-harming. They said if I wanted to self-harm then so be it but deal with it yourself. I dealt with it by snacking and drinking and now I have result- diabetes.

Hi trek unfortunetly alot of people on these boards have similier stories, have to fight tooth and nail to get strips and usually there diet and exercise controlled.Some have to end up paying over the odds on websites such as ebay..Sounds like your doing all the right things to keep ypur self well exercies and your BS to be in good control..You seem to have been treat very badly r.e your self harming issues its something one cant deal with 9 times out of 10 and thats why people who get left to go alone end up turning to a vice weather it be drink,food or whatever.Keep doing what your doing i say and keep up the good fitness levles.Good luck.Use this forum to your advantage we will help wherever we can so just ask x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back