Gout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steff

Little Miss Chatterbox
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi guys just wanted to ask what people know about gout and its causes, reason im asking is just been chatting to the mother in law and the doctor suspects gout on her big toe she has had to have emergency blood tests as he called them and will know for sure on Tuesday.Is it something to do with living the high life on stout or something? :confused:

Not 100% certain, but I think it is related to arthritis. Uric acid crystalises in the joints. There are a vriety of drug treatments and pain killers available for it. It used to be thought people who had rich diets and too much alcohol got it, but I'm not sure what the exact cause it. Ma in law may have to modify her diet and reduce the ammount of salt she has. When she has a flare up rest and gentle exercise are advised depending on how much pain she is in.

Sorry that is the extent of my knowledge. I hope Ma in law is OK, keep us posted.

It's quite rare these days but used to be associated with over indulgence in rich food and booze, coupled with lack of exercise. It can be associated with diabetes, obesity or hypertension and is usually treated with anti-inflammatory drugs.

Thanks for the link squidge it helped alot i just rang her up and gave her the link, it does say it is arthritis related your right caroline and she does have this, the bit about bad diet, drink and rich foods and lack of exercise does not ring true with her she is a 1 glass of wine a week lady has a brill diet and is the chair of the WI that is alot of hard work and running around and she does swimming twice a week with her hubby.She certainly dont have any weight issues well that i know of anyways.

Thanks for the link squidge it helped alot i just rang her up and gave her the link, it does say it is arthritis related your right caroline and she does have this, the bit about bad diet, drink and rich foods and lack of exercise does not ring true with her she is a 1 glass of wine a week lady has a brill diet and is the chair of the WI that is alot of hard work and running around and she does swimming twice a week with her hubby.She certainly dont have any weight issues well that i know of anyways.

There are a lot of other causes too Steff, those are just the most common.

There are a lot of other causes too Steff, those are just the most common.

Ah right well soon as i know i will update the thread, she is worrying she wont be able to make the meet with me next weekend🙄.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back