Gout link to diabetes prompts call for aggressive GP management

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Patients with gout face a heightened risk of developing diabetes, and GPs should 'aggressively' manage risk factors for the disease in these patients, US researchers have said.

The study from Harvard Medical School, Boston, found the risk of diabetes was 71% higher in women with gout than their peers without the condition. The risk in men was 22% greater.

Researchers said the effect was independent of factors including BMI and lifestyle. They urged GPs to take steps to identify and manage risk factors for diabetes in patients with gout, particularly women.

http://www.gponline.com/gout-link-diabetes-prompts-call-aggressive-gp-management/article/1315916

(free registration)

Thats odd, I got gout AFTER I got diabetes, does that mean I'm a little backward.

My Mum regularly had episodes of gout prior to her diabetes diagnosis. I suspect that the two go 'hand in hand' rather than one necessarily being the precursor to the other (but that's just a thought rather than a known fact).

Andy 🙂

Diabetes is listed as one of the possible causes of Gout. As Type 2 is quite often present before diagnosis, it's quite possible to have diabetes causing gout before diagnosis.

My situation has improved since I last posted, in that instead of being stuck at home, I am now stuck in hospital. :( I have been started on colchicine again, which means they think my problem is probably gout...

My situation has improved since I last posted, in that instead of being stuck at home, I am now stuck in hospital. :( I have been started on colchicine again, which means they think my problem is probably gout...

Sounds like it, when the gout subsides you should go onto Allopurinol, but it will depend on your Uric acid levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back