Got to have insulin now, and scared

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizzydi

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
It's been a while since I last posted. Been keeping myself busy with work and getting married, and trying to start a family and not continuing my running (missed 8 weeks worth and now started again).

HbA1C has now sneaked up to 6.4, was 6.2, 5.9, 5.6 & 5.4. Moring bloods are now 7.5 to 8.5 evening usual 4 to 7.

Consultant gave me letter to take to the Dr's for prescription and saw nurse who showed me how to load cartridges and inject myself.

Not sure really how I feel about going on insulin - can't even say what sort as my mind is in a whirl. Thought I'd be ok with it as it was initially discussed in August last year and I'm surprised I've managed to last this long.....

Oh gosh, DizzyDi....

I read that and thought "what great levels"! I am sorry to hear they arent good enough according to your team and you now need to inject insulin.

I hope it goes ok. There have been a few threads about this kind of thing, so I know its a concern of many people. If you need help with anything, happy to help, but in the meantime good luck xx

Not sure really how I feel about going on insulin - can't even say what sort as my mind is in a whirl. Thought I'd be ok with it as it was initially discussed in August last year and I'm surprised I've managed to last this long.....

Oh dear, Dizzydi, you are just one step ahead of me and I'm back-peddaling like mad to stay OFF insulin but I know it's really just around the corner.

"They" (the experts on here who've been injecting for yonks) say it's not as bad as we fear etc but the fear is there "I've got to stick something in me that sounds like it's gonna hurt".

All I can say is good luck, I DO believe "them" but when it's suddenly real .........oooer. Please let us know how you get on. Hugs.......:(

13 days on Insulin

Hi DizzyDi,

I really feel for you, Insulin feels like such a big step...yes?

I am now on just my '13th day' on Insulin myself! It has only been the last couple of days that I have felt somewhat 'easier' about Injecting Insulin.

I won't lie to you, I became quite tearful for the first few days and my moods have been very up and down, the injecting is not a problem, it does'nt hurt at all. It was more in an emotional sense that I felt was difficult, I would think that this is very natural to feel this way, my DSN assured me of this also.

I was started on Levimer, one injection per day. Firstly, 10 units initially and have had to report my morning B'Sugars to my DSN. Then, 12 units, now 14 units and next week 16 units. At the 16 units I will have to report my B'Sugars after eating, at which point my DSN may introduce a fast acting Insulin also. It is a slow process, I have prefered it like that as all the information takes getting used to.

The other thing that I have experienced is real hunger, like really hungry!! This was only for the the first few days though and it has subsided somewhat now, my DSN told me that this was the Insulin and told me why this happens, very complicated for me to relay to you, sorry! I also felt a bit of a bloated feeling, which also has settled down now.

As for my B'Sugar readings, well, I am only a a very small does of background Insulin, so the results have not been dramatic as yet...I am hoping that time will tell and my sugars will hopefully improve significantely. My morning readings were between 10 & 11/12, now that are around 8.8/9.8...slow but sure!

All I can say is, well, try not to be too afraid, use the support offered here from others who are far more eliquant and more informed than myself, I'm a newbie to Insulin!....Also, make sure your DSN is on hand, I have a new DSN and she has been wonderful, lots of phone support!...By the way, when is your Insulin start date?

Oh yes, the injections...they really DO NOT hurt....the needle is so fine!

I hope this helps some, all the best, try not to worry, love Ellowyne xXx

Last edited:
..."They" (the experts on here who've been injecting for yonks) say it's not as bad as we fear etc but the fear is there "I've got to stick something in me that sounds like it's gonna hurt".

All I can say is good luck, I DO believe "them" but when it's suddenly real .........oooer. Please let us know how you get on. Hugs.......:(

It's true! I think this is one of those things where, if you're given long enough to think about it, it starts to become a thing to be feared. Although I knew for about a week that I would need to inject insulin, it only really dawned on me in the hour before discharge from hospital when a very busy DSN brought me a book, some pens and got me to do my first injection. I put off eating my tea that night because I was scared of giving my first one alone. But after the frst day I was fine with it.

I'm sure that you will be fine with it too Dizzydi, it's just getting over that first hurdle of the unknown. Stay strong!🙂

hi there i started on insulin {lantus and humamlog} in may last year i was really scared but its second nature to me now .
after 9 years on tablets it became real but i got a lot of support from my family and of course on this forum

Sorry to hear you've had to go onto insulin. I know I felt tons better once on it because I was running so very high and felt so unwell.

Have you done your first injection yet? I remember feeling very nervous about it. I had gone to the DSN in the morning travelled 200 miles to see my girlfriend and gave my first injection that evening.

Just to remind you of some practical things, If you have a driving lisense you need to inform the DVLA that you are now on insulin, and must check every time before you drive.

It might be better to get stabilised on insulin whilst you are still trying to get pregnant, because you would have to switch over to insulin once you are pregnant and would have to deal with that along with all the usual pregnancy stuff.

Good luck with it, and we are always here for support and advice

You're best not dwelling on it too long, get on and do it.

Hopefully you will see the benefits soon and realise once you're injecting management becomes easier as you have more control with insulin that with tablets.

That said, the first time you put a needle in yourself is a most odd sensation, with todays pen needles they are so fine, if I take my glasses off I can't see them and they are much less painful than a lancet for taking your blood samples.

Hope you're soon over the shock and in a week or two's time are happier injecting.

I chose (not sure I had a choice) to inject on my own, never liked an audience, but certainly didn't want people watching in the early days.

There's a lot of us who inject, so you're not alone.

Good luck!

Dizzydi: i don't understand, i am Type 2 and i had my first hbaic result this week at 6.7% but i've been told it's OK, don't need to go on medication (apart from statins) and told to go back in 6 months. My fasting glucose levels are high in the mornings, they vary from 7.1 to 8.3 so i don't understand why you have to go on insulin?

Hi there

I too am T2 on insulin.

I started last feb on 4 x daily injection and 8 years on tablets

Now second nature

You'll be fine. The people on this Forum are great should you need to know anything, just ask

Hazel

Hi Dizzy Di, I'm on tablets and am aware that insulin is somewhere down the road for me too.

There are loads of people here in insulin, so I am sure someone will give you pointers whenever you want or need them. You can also ask your medical team for help, it's what they are there for.

As others have said it can be a bit daunting at first, but they all go the hang of it, so it will work out for you too. SOmetimes we have to learn to be patient with ourselves.

Thanks for all your kind words & support

Hi All, Thanks for your posts.
I know going on insulin will all make sense and be a good idea once I start to use it & Hopefully my control with get a lot better in the mornings and aid in my quest to start a family. (Think I'm getting a bit obsessed with this).

I should hopefully get my prescritpion on Monday. My Ma who is diabetic and injects has invited me for tea on Tuesday - she is going to help supervise my first injection.

What I cannot remember though is do i inject before tea, after tea or leave it before I go to bed.

PS I ran 5K today at the gym - I'm getting back on track with my running. Thinking about doing another charity run so I have a target to stick to 🙂

DizzyDi, what insulin are you going to be injecting? Is it two types or just one? I think a lot of Type 2s start on something like lantus or levemir, which is long acting. If you are injecting two types, like novorapid and lantus, then the novorapid is normaly taken just before the meal and the lantus at bedtime (I won't confuse you by saying the NR can be taken at different times - that's not important fr you to know just now!)

Hi Northener.
It is going to be one type and I think it is lantus - but not 100% sure as I looked at the prescription requested and then dropped it of at the Dr's still in a daze and really didn't notice.

My head was spinning from the nurse at the hospital giving me the Novapen 4 and a cartridge to practice putting the cartridge in and inject. I couldn't get my head around which way the cartridge was supposed to go and how and even managed to confuse the nurse...lol.

Mummy will look after me on Tuesday...but I will let you know what type it is when I get it. It's just a bit daughting at the moment and I think it is making it worse as I have to wait to get the prescription and get started.

Hi Northener.
It is going to be one type and I think it is lantus - but not 100% sure as I looked at the prescription requested and then dropped it of at the Dr's still in a daze and really didn't notice.

My head was spinning from the nurse at the hospital giving me the Novapen 4 and a cartridge to practice putting the cartridge in and inject. I couldn't get my head around which way the cartridge was supposed to go and how and even managed to confuse the nurse...lol.

Mummy will look after me on Tuesday...but I will let you know what type it is when I get it. It's just a bit daughting at the moment and I think it is making it worse as I have to wait to get the prescription and get started.

If it is lantus, it is normally taken once a day, although some people 'split' the dose and have two injections. I have mine just before I go to bed. The pens normally come with good instructions for replacing cartridges - it took me a while to work it out too, but it quickly becomes second nature. With mumon hand, you'll be fine!

If you're just taking one injection of long acting per day, then it's up to you to decide when is the most convenient time, then stick to it, give or take an hour or so, but even that degree of flexibility depends from person to person. Think about things like choosing a time when you will usually be somewhere convenient eg a train might not be the best place (particularly if you want choice of full range of sites, including bottom and thighs); when you will remember eg at same time as brushing teeth or a meal (but you may need to use short acting insulin at meal times some time in the future); carrying kit with you in case you get caught out overnight somewhere eg snowfall, unplanned stay at friend's house etc.
You'll fine, especially with your Mum to supervise.

If you have been given a novopen 4 then it won't be Lantus (different company won't fit into that pen). It might be Levemir, which as Copepod said needs to be given at the same time each day and doesn't depend on food. Some times people alter the time once they work out how the insulin affects them.

I am on Simvastatin and have had no problems at all. I have five stents and angina. My aunt had statins but came off them as she had so much muscle ache, so a definate no no for her. As my nurse told me we are individual and what suits one not an other. Keep smiling

Dizzydi, I can understand how you are feeling. Before I became diabetic I always wondered how anyone could ever manage to stick needles in themselves all the time. Now I the injections themselves don't bother me at all, sometimes I can not even remember if I have done it or not. Most of the time you can barely feel it as the needles are so fine.
I am grateful that I did not have a long time to think about it beforehand though, as I think I would have worked myself into a right state.

Let us know how you get on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back