Status
Not open for further replies.

rayray119

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Got the libre this week and slowly learning to trust it

The Libre is great and trust is important.

It is important to know when you can trust it most and when you need to double check with finger pricks.
I find it is least accurate
- on the first day or two. This is due to our body getting used to the alien object inserted in our arms. I insert my sensor a few days before activating it to overcome this. Others find their sensors are close enough from the start.
- when our levels are high or low. Libre have been calibrated to be most accurate between 4 and about 8. For me, this means to always double check before making a correction or treating a hypo.
- when recovering from a high or low. CGMs read interstitial fluid which is about 15 minutes behind blood glucose readings. The algorithm used by Libre 2 takes this delay into consideration by extrapolating the current trend. However, if the trend changes (e.g treating a hypo), Libre will take 15 minutes to work that out.

I find my Libre may drift over their lifetime so will do a “calibration“ test at the start of the day to ensure it is on track. I chose a time when my levels are flat so the extrapolation affect is minimal.

Apart from that, I am confident to use Libre for dosing my insulin.

Finally, whilst Libre should be trusted, it is important to take your finger prick meter with you when you are out, especially when driving. This is because they can fail or be knocked off so you need a back up.

The Libre is great and trust is important.

It is important to know when you can trust it most and when you need to double check with finger pricks.
I find it is least accurate
- on the first day or two. This is due to our body getting used to the alien object inserted in our arms. I insert my sensor a few days before activating it to overcome this. Others find their sensors are close enough from the start.
- when our levels are high or low. Libre have been calibrated to be most accurate between 4 and about 8. For me, this means to always double check before making a correction or treating a hypo.
- when recovering from a high or low. CGMs read interstitial fluid which is about 15 minutes behind blood glucose readings. The algorithm used by Libre 2 takes this delay into consideration by extrapolating the current trend. However, if the trend changes (e.g treating a hypo), Libre will take 15 minutes to work that out.

I find my Libre may drift over their lifetime so will do a “calibration“ test at the start of the day to ensure it is on track. I chose a time when my levels are flat so the extrapolation affect is minimal.

Apart from that, I am confident to use Libre for dosing my insulin.

Finally, whilst Libre should be trusted, it is important to take your finger prick meter with you when you are out, especially when driving. This is because they can fail or be knocked off so you need a back up.
i was told they were 5 minutes by my dsn but you'r the second person to mention 15 minutes

The libre is great, you'll learn to trust it over the next few weeks. Remember to finger prick, if you are feeling hypo as libre, can be a bit wobbly.

The libre is great, you'll learn to trust it over the next few weeks. Remember to finger prick, if you are feeling hypo as libre, can be a bit wobbly.
well curentlly high 2 hours after eating its usually gone down by now so freaking out a bit

Have you checked with a finger prick test?
As mentioned above, the Libre can take a day or so to settle and can be inaccurate when high.
yep it was pretty acurrute but now i probelly just did a correcton when i shouldn't have, silly mistake so now need to watch out for it going the over way i think i may have under estimated the crabs in my brakfast this morning

yep it was pretty acurrute but now i probelly just did a correcton when i shouldn't have, silly mistake so now need to watch out for it going the over way i think i may have under estimated the crabs in my brakfast this morning
Especially (I think) with the current algorithm, don't rely on the graph if it's changing too much. I find it often predicts a higher (or lower) reading and later when I look that's disappeared (because the readings didn't actually show that).

Especially (I think) with the current algorithm, don't rely on the graph if it's changing too much. I find it often predicts a higher (or lower) reading and later when I look that's disappeared (because the readings didn't actually show that).
it was pretty acurte atough i think i allready made a mistake today my metter isnt untirry acurte either

what do you mean disapered?

Glad you’ve got access to Libre @rayray119

Hope you continue to find it useful, and find the information it provides helps you with your diabetes management. 🙂

Hi. It is15 minutes delay rather than 5. I have never found my Libre 2 needs time to settle. I put a new one on yesterday and it was giving pretty accurate readings after the first hour warm-up time. I do carry a finger-prick kit with me when driving to x-check low'ish sensor readings.

most of the time it seems okay. so I'm learning to trust it.

I haven't checked with the manufacturer lately but the sensor reading delay was stated to be 15mins when compared to a finger prick test.

I haven't checked with the manufacturer lately but the sensor reading delay was stated to be 15mins when compared to a finger prick test.
They've made claims about their predictive algorithm but I forget how much (and how effectively) they think it reduces that delay.

All I can add is that the blood reading will lead by 5-15mins for the interstitial fluid read out.
eg. if you want to compare readings take a blood reading then wait 5-15mins and take a sensor reading they then should be closer together. I understand the medical tolerance to be +- 3% for any given reading.

Extract from Abbots webby >>> There’s typically a delay of 5-15 minutes between the glucose levels in the blood and the interstitial fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back