Got myself in a bit a state

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppyqueen

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone,
I was diagnosed as Type 2 in Nov, my figure was 79, and I got in down to 50, and lost 2stone in weight, I take one Metformin tab 3 times a day.
Since Xmas I-have gone off my diet, and been eating a few things which I shouldn’t have. I’m a discharge social worker in a busy hospital, and work has been stressful. I know I put other people before myself.
ive noticed over last week I’ve had a couple of false hypos, but also my lack of concentration has gone at times when I’m working. How do I get myself out of this cycle? I live alone, and moved to a new town,and worried I might have one of these hypos then it be found, I know that’s me being stupid.
Ive been to the Supermarket,and bought all the food I was having when I lost the 2 stone, and have also just been to chemist and bought a glucose monitor. How can I stop the fluctuating blood sugars I think I am having please x

You've made a great start by getting a BG monitor @Poppyqueen. That was the only way I managed to keep on track. I don't use it so much now, but still use it when eating something different so I can see what it's doing to me. Well done on the weight loss and BG reduction. It's hard when you have a stressful job as stress in itself can raise your BG. Are you able to take breaks and eat at a consistent time? I know that's one thing the nurses on our team struggle with. Try to keep a diary of what you are eating and test before eating and 2 hours after. You shouldn't go up more than 2-3 units. If you are, you need to rethink what you are eating. Best of luck x

Hi @Poppyqueen Are you on any diabetes medication apart from Metformin?
Just asking because unless your BG has been very high recently, it's unusual for a Type 2 to get a BG drop big enough to get hypo's or false hypo's if they are just taking metformin.
Such a situation is more common in those suffering from Reactive Hypoglycaemia which is a situation where insulin resistance isn't a big problem and the insulin produced in response to a high(ish) carb meal is delayed but still strong. This causes an initial higher BG spike followed by a BG drop just as fast, like a rollercoaster!
The non-medical treatment for it is to avoid/minimise the BG spikes in the first place by cutting down drastically on carbs.

Just asking because unless your BG has been very high recently, it's unusual for a Type 2 to get a BG drop big enough to get hypo's or false hypo's if they are just taking metformin.
Such a situation is more common in those suffering from Reactive Hypoglycaemia which is a situation where insulin resistance isn't a big problem and the insulin produced in response to a high(ish) carb meal is delayed but still strong. This causes an initial higher BG spike followed by a BG drop just as fast, like a rollercoaster!
The non-medical treatment for it is to avoid/minimise the BG spikes in the first place by cutting down drastically on carbs.
Hi everyone,
I was diagnosed as Type 2 in Nov, my figure was 79, and I got in down to 50, and lost 2stone in weight, I take one Metformin tab 3 times a day.
Since Xmas I-have gone off my diet, and been eating a few things which I shouldn’t have. I’m a discharge social worker in a busy hospital, and work has been stressful. I know I put other people before myself.
ive noticed over last week I’ve had a couple of false hypos, but also my lack of concentration has gone at times when I’m working. How do I get myself out of this cycle? I live alone, and moved to a new town,and worried I might have one of these hypos then it be found, I know that’s me being stupid.
Ive been to the Supermarket,and bought all the food I was having when I lost the 2 stone, and have also just been to chemist and bought a glucose monitor. How can I stop the fluctuating blood sugars I think I am having please x
You have done well so far and getting a monitor should help you to get back on track but this link might help you get a new perspective on making some dietary changes. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

I think you have answered your own question @Poppyqueen - you have already made a start on doing exactly the things you need to do. Maybe if you keep updating us on here about how you're getting on it will give you the motivation to keep doing them.

Try not to beat yourself up about going off the rails for a couple of months, as getting stressed about it won't help you at all, you just need to get back on track.

I think you have answered your own question @Poppyqueen - you have already made a start on doing exactly the things you need to do. Maybe if you keep updating us on here about how you're getting on it will give you the motivation to keep doing them.

Try not to beat yourself up about going off the rails for a couple of months, as getting stressed about it won't help you at all, you just need to get back on track.
Thankyou I will do. My main task for today is how to figure out how to use the lancet and be brave enough to use is as am needle phobic.

You've made a great start by getting a BG monitor @Poppyqueen. That was the only way I managed to keep on track. I don't use it so much now, but still use it when eating something different so I can see what it's doing to me. Well done on the weight loss and BG reduction. It's hard when you have a stressful job as stress in itself can raise your BG. Are you able to take breaks and eat at a consistent time? I know that's one thing the nurses on our team struggle with. Try to keep a diary of what you are eating and test before eating and 2 hours after. You shouldn't go up more than 2-3 units. If you are, you need to rethink what you are eating. Best of luck x
Hi Vonny, thanks so much for your advice. I think I need to start prioritising Myself over work, and start taking regular breaks. I am just in that cycle at the moment the I have that moment when I’m thinking I’m having a false hypo so eating more than I should as I’m scared. It could be more that my symptoms are caused by high blood sugar levels not low.

Hi Juliet, thanks for replying, I think being in a stressful job isn’t helping at the moment, and I’m tempted to take a few days off sick in order to get into a better routine x

Hi Ian, I’m wondering if I’m feeling funny due to high sugar levels not low, now I think about it. Will find out soon now I have mymonitor

I am needle-phobic too, and managing to give myself multiple daily injections thanks to the invention of covered needles so I don't have to see them! The lancets have never been a problem for me, you don't see them going in at all as they're completely inside the bodger. Just make sure you only bodge the sides of your fingers, never the pads, but not too near the nails either. If you get the right place you shouldn't really feel it at all.

If your bodger has different numbered settings, you may need to experiment to find the one which will get enough blood but not too much (you don't need much) for your fingers - mine goes from 1 (for babies and young children) to 4 (for adults with very thick skin) and I put it on 2 or 3, depending on finger, but some of them have a wider range of numbers.

I am needle-phobic too, and managing to give myself multiple daily injections thanks to the invention of covered needles so I don't have to see them! The lancets have never been a problem for me, you don't see them going in at all as they're completely inside the bodger. Just make sure you only bodge the sides of your fingers, never the pads, but not too near the nails either. If you get the right place you shouldn't really feel it at all.

If your bodger has different numbered settings, you may need to experiment to find the one which will get enough blood but not too much (you don't need much) for your fingers - mine goes from 1 (for babies and young children) to 4 (for adults with very thick skin) and I put it on 2 or 3, depending on finger, but some of them have a wider range of numbers.
Thanks Juliet, I’m going to get my friend to show me tomorrow, as want to make sure I put it in correctly lol

You can do this @Poppyqueen !

You’ve been able to manage your diabetes well in the past, and you are aware that your stressful circumstances and the impact they've had on your ability to look after yourself have meant things have slipped a bit.

But you’ve made a great start in getting back on track, and by posting on the forum you have us lot behind you willing you to succeed. It can be challenging to prioritise yourself at times, but it is a challenge really worth meeting!

You should find the fingerstick lancing almost painless, and certainly well below the point where you would say ‘ow’. If the lancing device that comes with your meter is a bit basic, you might consider getting an Accu-chek Fast Clix / Multi Clix style one which has a ‘drum’ of completely concealed lancets that you never see, and is one of the most highly regarded finger bodgers on the forum 🙂

Hi Ian, I’m wondering if I’m feeling funny due to high sugar levels not low, now I think about it. Will find out soon now I have mymonitor
I have thankfully never had a hypo but I do get hyper, makes me feel funny, odd and weird, 9/10 times when I do a BG its spiked to around 10 or 11 I dont think there is enough focus on hypers do you?

You can do this @Poppyqueen !

You should find the fingerstick lancing almost painless, and certainly well below the point where you would say ‘ow’. If the lancing device that comes with your meter is a bit basic, you might consider getting an Accu-chek Fast Clix / Multi Clix style one which has a ‘drum’ of completely concealed lancets that you never see, and is one of the most highly regarded finger bodgers on the forum 🙂
Agreed, I have the Accu-chek Mobile and this particular set up is a fully integrated package.

The finger pricker uses the drum of 6 lancets; they have proved to be exceptionally frugal & I get loads of finger pricks from each lance and the drum seems to last for ever. But there is an overall convenience of this Accu-Chek system.

The finger pricker attaches to the meter, so no fumbling around for different bits; and the meter takes a cassette of 50 strip equivalents, so no fumbling around for an individual strip to put in a meter, nor needing to dispose of a blood contaminated strip later. Even better the meter is very "forgiving" needing only a modest drop of blood to get a reading; but best of all when hypo and trembling, aligning that drop of blood onto the test area is so much easier.

To add garnish (if not icing) to this great cake, the system has a free wireless adapter that clips onto the other side of the meter and from a press on a small button sends your readings to the 'mySugr' app; then for the final cherry on top, because it is receiving from the wi-fi adaptor automatically upgrades the app to the Pro version (for free).

4 drawbacks, as far as I can see:
The cassettes for testing are relatively expensive in relation to a tub of 50 strips. I'm lucky enough to get mine on prescription. But I previously had numerous wasted singleton test strips from failed readings, so that waste could well mitigate this aspect.
If the date and time is put into the initial setup of the meter, then once a new cassette is installed it is given a 3 month life and the 50 tests need to be used before they become time expired. I use 1 cassette every 7-14 days, so it's not a problem for me.
The meter doesn't take ketone strips.
The mySugr app does not integrate with LibreLink; theoretically there ought to be a way, but that's beyond my skillset.

One bonus: I phoned Roche UK and asked for a second meter and pricker, to ensure a reserve and to allow me to have one set upstairs and one set for downstairs and for taking with me when away from home. They instantly agreed and posted this to me; they just wanted the serial number of my original meter.

I'm of the opinion that I have this D challenge for the rest of my life. So anything that makes managing easier, is worthwhile for me to consider, not least because it reduces my stress levels. I vividly remember the early days some 2 years ago of finger-pricking with the 4-Sure device and failing to get readings from the clumsy 4-Sure Smart Duo meter: couldn't get the drop of blood without pain (4 depth settings, only the highest [deepest!] drew blood; couldn't successfully get the blood onto the strip to get a reading; and needing successive strips before I could get a single reading.

This is an aspect you learn about by trial and error; there would be merit in DUK creating a place where Newbies can find out more about the different BG testing systems and their pros and cons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back