Got an exam or driving test coming up? Raise your BG

Status
Not open for further replies.

helli

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I found this article interesting: Too high or too low glucose levels may slow cognition in people with type 1 diabetes.
The bit that especially piqued my interest was

“This was surprising. We know high glucose is bad for long-term brain functioning and cognitive health, but it looks like — at least in the short term — having glucose that is moderately high is associated with faster thinking and response times in people with type 1 diabetes.”

So, if you need fast reaction, a slightly higher BG is advantageous.
But not too high!

Last edited:
I found this article interesting: Too high or too low glucose levels may slow cognition in people with type 1 diabetes.
The but that especially piqued my interest was

“This was surprising. We know high glucose is bad for long-term brain functioning and cognitive health, but it looks like — at least in the short term — having glucose that is moderately high is associated with faster thinking and response times in people with type 1 diabetes.”

But not too high!
I’m guessing the definition of “slightly higher” could be critical. I’m admit I scan read the article, but couldn’t find that detail?

But not too high!
Just not high enough that you spend your driving test bursting for a wee!

Is this a case of cause and effect? If you’re nervous about a test or exam, you produce adrenaline, adrenaline helps your concentration and reaction time…and it also makes your blood glucose go up.

The only detail in the article is that this varies per person.
I am sure there is more detail in the research paper.
Thanks. I’m sure you’re right, but those statements make for decent click bait, if the main paper is behind a paywall (I didn’t look for it).

Thanks. I’m sure you’re right, but those statements make for decent click bait, if the main paper is behind a paywall (I didn’t look for it).
Yes, it is click bait aimed at people with Type 1.
I am confused by your questions when you stated that you only scan read it. If you are so interested to ask questions, why only scan it?
As I meant to suggest from my title, my interest was a little frivolous. Maybe you found my title click bait too.

Last edited:
Yes, it is click bait aimed at people with Type 1.
I am confused by your questions when you stated that you only scan read it. If you are so interested to ask questions, why only scan it?
As I meant to suggest from my tutor, my interest was a little frivolous. Maybe you found my tutor click bait too.
I guess I read it out of light interest. Not being T1, it didn't really apply to me, except that it's good to have a broad understanding.

Interesting snippet you posted @helli

Thanks for sharing!

If I am over 13 I can't think straight, I am best in range, in all ways.
But it might make me braver, high levels and rugby I seem to go all out, but I do notice my eyes aren't as sharpe. So mixed bag.

I can't even get to the article as I always disallow all cookies and tracking. Not having my data unless I agree and I avoid tracking as much as possible.

The effect is very small:

"Given that DSM RT exhibited significant group (H1) and variable individual (H2) estimates of cognitive vulnerability to glucose fluctuations, we next sought to characterize optimal (i.e., fast) performance. Optimal performance consistently occurred above individuals’ glucose means, regardless of the value of those means. On average, it occurred 0.72 SDs (47.49 mg/dL) above individuals’ glucose means and was associated with 0.57% (5.30 ms) performance gain relative to individuals’ cognitive means. Glucose concentrations associated with optimal performance—and the extent to which optimal performance represented an improvement relative to typical performance—varied between individuals (Fig. 4)."

i.e. 0.57% improvement for a BG ~2.8mmol/l above the individual's mean value.

The question I'd ask is how constant are the mean values, where do they lie, etc., etc., is there any relationship with absolute values. Presumably the answer to the above is no.

I certainly tended to start exams high to avoid running low during them (or at least give myself more time before I started to run low so I'd not be concentrating quite so hard and might notice it earlier), not ideal but it was reasonably effective. I do find that playing badminton if I'm running high I'm not as accurate, though it's much better than running low. The same may hold true for exams (certainly being low isn't useful! 🙂)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back