got a query on the USB contour testing meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina1962

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I love my USB contour testing meter but i have to say i am disappointed in the timer side of it, i can't rely on it as the beeps are not continuous so if i don't have the meter right in front of me i would miss the timed reminder so have to set 2 hour timer on my mobile to make sure i don't miss it. Does anyone else who has the USB contour find this an issue?

I don't have one Carina, but it might be worth pointing the problem out to the manufacturer - I'm sure they would be happy to get feedback from people who actually use their meters on a day-to-day basis 🙂

Northerner, I contacted Bayer today and they replied very quickly and basically said that there is nothing that can be done, that's how the meter is pre-set so unless i have the meter right in front of me i'll miss the beep sounds (they go off 20 times, short beeps) and the meter lights up but i keep it in my drawer at work or in my bag so that's no good so will have to continue using my mobile phone alarm - oh well

Ah, shame! Thanks for the update. Hopefully it is something they will bear in mind when designing Mark 2! 🙂

Sorry but I do not understand why a D/E controlled Type 2 should need a 2hr alarm. I don't bother that much and I'm on insulin, are you not being a bit obsessive?

Sorry but I do not understand why a D/E controlled Type 2 should need a 2hr alarm. I don't bother that much and I'm on insulin, are you not being a bit obsessive?

Each to his own Vic, we all deal with this in our own way. I think what one person may regard as 'obsessive', another might think infrequent - there is such a broad range when it comes to testing and the reasons why we do it.

What I meant was that you don't have to be that accurate over the 2hrs after eating and is it really that hard to remember when you last ate? The USB meter has bigger faults than the volume of it's alarm!
Perhaps Carina would like to comment.

hello Vicsetter. These days i now alternate my testing and only test once (sometimes twice) a day and i alternate my times each day so when it comes to me testing 2 hours either after lunch or after my evening meal that is when the reminder comes in handy. I have been told not to test by my DN and GP but sorry, if i didn't test i would never have known what foods are BS friendly for me. Do you agree with my DN and GP then and should not test?

Personally, as a diet/exercise controlled type 2, I test whenever I don't know what a particular food does to me. Once I've got a handle on it, I don't test again (except for my fortnightly check).

It helps when my levels are quite stable though!

Andy 🙂

hello Vicsetter. These days i now alternate my testing and only test once (sometimes twice) a day and i alternate my times each day so when it comes to me testing 2 hours either after lunch or after my evening meal that is when the reminder comes in handy. I have been told not to test by my DN and GP but sorry, if i didn't test i would never have known what foods are BS friendly for me. Do you agree with my DN and GP then and should not test?

Carina carry on with what your doing hun, if it works for you then why not..its your diabetes you deal with it your way x

No you carry on testing, it just read as if you tested 2hrs after eating on a regular basis, which is pretty pointless (and expensive if you have to buy them), once you've established what affects you and stabilised your dietary regime 🙄.

hi all, just wondered if anyone could help me on this....my dad has pointed out this meter to me and I think it would be a good one for me to get, I just wanted to make sure/find out if I can get the blood test strips on prescription? I'm never sure if they have any 'rules' on what they'll give you on prescription or not.

thanks 🙂

hi all, just wondered if anyone could help me on this....my dad has pointed out this meter to me and I think it would be a good one for me to get, I just wanted to make sure/find out if I can get the blood test strips on prescription? I'm never sure if they have any 'rules' on what they'll give you on prescription or not.

thanks 🙂

Yes, there will be no problems getting the strips on prescription. Most, if not all of the meters on the market have strips that can be obtained on prescription. 🙂

I love my USB contour testing meter but i have to say i am disappointed in the timer side of it, i can't rely on it as the beeps are not continuous so if i don't have the meter right in front of me i would miss the timed reminder so have to set 2 hour timer on my mobile to make sure i don't miss it. Does anyone else who has the USB contour find this an issue?
I too love my new USB Contour but I've never even tried using the timer on the meter. I always find it much more convenient using the timer on my mobile phone to set the one hour and two hour markers or whatever else I'm interested in.

I've always found the timers on the meters easy to miss when they are in a zipped up bag and in a coat pocket or some other bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back