Google could soon be detecting diabetes in your tears

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Google's "smart contact lens" has caught the eye of Swiss drug giant Novartis, paving the way for the technology to hit prime time in the next few years.

A small team in the Californian tech giant's "secret lab" for solving the world's biggest problems, Google[x], has quietly been developing a super sensitive glucose sensor so tiny it can sit inside a contact lens.

It hopes this miniature chip can continuously monitor the level of glucose - a form of sugar - in the eye's tear fluid and communicate the information with wireless devices such as a mobile phone. In doing so it can provide an easier way for diabetes patients to keep watch of the levels of sugar in their body, helping them decide when to inject insulin or take other treatments.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...soon-be-detecting-diabetes-in-your-tears.html

It will certainly be interesting. To be fair techonology, if used wisely could go along way.

ROFLMAO - OOOOOH like the watch that was going to do it from your perspiration.

In which case - I don't think I'll hold me breath.

Any idea how eye fluid glucose compares to BG ?

Just thought - you'd have to remove em at night wouldn't you?

You would probably discover that it beamed everything you looked at back to Google as well so they could deliver tailored ads.

Google Ads going across the contact lenses. Yes, I'm sure that would be a money spinner Vicsetter !

ROFLMAO - OOOOOH like the watch that was going to do it from your perspiration.

In which case - I don't think I'll hold me breath.

Any idea how eye fluid glucose compares to BG ?

Just thought - you'd have to remove em at night wouldn't you?

I don't know how it compares but remember reading that it's the only way that they can test glucose levels post mortem.(another bit of trivia)

Googling though could take on a whole new meaning.

More Tech is good. They may be able to do other things with this tech 😎

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back