Good progress?

Tac0caT

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
So I was "naughty" yesterday for the first time since my diagnosis in July.

It was my mum's birthday and she wanted everyone to be together for a carvery.
I made good choices, didn't go large, I had 2 slices of Turkey and of Beef, Broccoli, cauliflower cheese, 1 Chipolata, 1 stuffing ball, 1 Yorkshire (Though it was disgustingly huge so only ate 1/3 of it.), 2 roast potatoes and some red cabbage (Which tasted sweet so only had a mouthful and left it) and a ladle full of gravy on top with some horseradish sauce.

Afterwards we all went back to my mum's where there were numerous cakes. I did indulge, I opted for the cake with the lowest amount of Sugar which was the Clotted cream and Jam Roly poly (14g per 32g slice of cake) I managed to cut a 30g piece at the first try so just had that.

I was amazed though - my blood sugar held up really well! (I think, I could be wrong).

Pre-Carvery reading - 6.8
Post Carvery/Pre cake - 7.2
Post cake - 8.3
Took a reading 1hr 20 mins later - 6.6

Maybe getting ahead of myself, but the obvious question here is - does this mean I'm becoming less resistant to insulin?
That carvery is probably the biggest meal I've had and the most carbs I've had in one meal since I got diagnosed.

I'll not be making a habit of it, but the fact that I went down to a reasonable level quite quickly felt like a little win to me and it makes me feel a lot better about Xmas - knowing that I'll be indulging in a full roast dinner then too.

@Tac0caT I would not put a definite reason for the ability to deal with carbs better than before, but yes - if you empty out the storage spaces by reducing carbs they are available in the normal way again if you eat carbs.
After the 8 years in remission I could probably eat a 'normal' diet for several days or even weeks before I would be trundling up the slope towards full fledged type 2 again.
I get a double Christmas - two families to visit, and if I bother to test I see the same low numbers at the 2 hour point, but I don't overdo things and I am careful for a few days afterwards. I think it makes it all the more special.

I don't understand Drummer's comments about 'storage'. People with T2D tend to have low storage of glycogen in muscles.

If you've been reducing calories and losing weight you may well have improved insulin sensitivity in muscles and liver, as both these factors contribute towards muscles not taking in glucose from the blood and also lead to signalling being blocked in the liver that stops glucose production.

There's also a chance that the reduced lipo-toxicity due to weight loss and the reduction of glucose toxicity may mean beta cells start to function better. (As beta cells in people with T2D tend to stop working when there are high levels of certain fats in the blood and also high levels of glucose - genetic reasons behind this.)

Don't beat yourself up - I had two kitkats and four chocolate biscuits yesterday!! I was however very stressed and moving apartments for my mum - that's my excuse anyway. I found her chocolate stash and couldn't resist :rofl:

Occasional treats are unlikely to do you any harm. It's when these treats become the norm and are an every day occurrence that the problems start.

Back