Good Progress (I think)

Status
Not open for further replies.

harbottle

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Well just before Xmas I had a 2nd test and my hb1ac was down to 36 from 83 (When diagnosed at the end of August). The GP called me about cholesterol and didn't seem interested in the BG result, but did seem quite surprised it had come down so quickly. Anyway, I hadn't been testing levels (I stopped doing it for various reasons - just decided to concentrate on the diet and losing weight as I found I started to get worried if I saw a large figure - which I now know is to be expected sometimes. Having had no advice from the medical professionals [Apart from being asked if I want to do some food course called Desmond?] I had to use the web and these forums to find out 'what to do'.) for this period, just relying on the carb content to see me through.

As a result of the last test the Metformin was reduced to 500mg but I was worried that this would see an increase in blood sugar levels. So I started testing a lot more and seem to be doing OK - generally below 5.0 when I wake up (I don't seem to get that dawn phenomenon) and generally below 5.0 in the evenings before I go to bed (It's currently at 4.3). This afternoon it went below 4, which I haven't seen before. During the day when I'm in the office it seems to be higher if I'm stressed about something or have gone for a walk. (When I was diagnosed, I'd been through a long period of stress that was keeping me awake.)

I've started testing before food, an hour or so later (Just out of interest to see what the spikes are) and then two hours - I rarely see it go over 7.5 and at 2 hours it's generally below six or in the low sixes, depending on how I feel. In the evening it barely moved out of 4-6 range some nights. Carb content is usually between 10g and 30g.) Weirdly, if I do have a meal that is quite 'carby' (Usually from veg) I feel quite energetic afterwards and various aches and pains go away.

Sometimes feel a bit down about the whole thing, especially when my wife and kids spent Xmas scoffing sweets and treats while I was sitting there nibbling on a piece of dark chocolate or a few almonds while pretending to enjoy rubbish films on TV. However, today I was cheered up by finding packets of Cauliflower rice in my local Aldi [I'm somewhat addicted to their peanut butter as well]. I make my own and freeze it, but having some around will be handy for quick meals or for when I haven't made any.

The only eating out I've tried are Subway salads (Absolutely no movement on BG with a chicken or chicken tikka salad with sauces) and Nandos (Chicken and a side dish of coleslaw or salad doesn't create any problems.). I quite miss Wagamamma until I see the carb content of their meals.

My Dad had T2, he developed it around the same age I did, didn't change his lifestyle, and had a stroke when he was 60 (He was struggling to control his BG and was very overweight). I don't want that to happen to me, which is probably the driving force behind making lifestyle changes to get it under control so quickly.

Next step is to get the LDL and cholesterol down!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back