good or not good result?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruth Goode

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
We went to hospital this morning, Carly's hba1c is 10.1 and they said its high and I know that but isn't it good for her 1st time and at 2 years old :-(

From what others have said, although the number is higher than it should be, it is not too bad. You have worked very hard to get things right, so hopefully this is only a blip and the next one will be lower.

Hi Ruth, it is a bit high, but the important thing is it gives you something to work on to bring it down. Every drop in hba1c will make a huge difference in reducing her risk of complications 🙂

From what I've read on here it pays to bring these things down gradually too. Onward and downwards, and gently does it seems to be the best way for the body to adjust.

M

It is still early days - so dont worry too much. If you were getting these sort of high numbers after 6 months or so then I would be worried. Have your team offered you any advice on how to get levels down? Have they mentioned a pump to you?🙂

It is hard trying to get levels right with a toddler, so dont feel too bad - but I would ask the team for further advice. Anything over 8% means there is room for improvement and it is wise to get levels down to this or lower to avoid future complications.🙂Bev

Thanks everyone & Bev, it is only been less than 4 months - we have just started carb counting 2 weeks now and it was 1 unit in 20g carbs now the doctor suggested 1 in 15g that we have started it now, fingers crossed 🙂

Now that you're getting used to the carb counting I'm sure the next A1c will be lower, goodluck 🙂 How long till the next test?

Ruth

Yes it's a bit higher than one would like, the first A1c is a bit of a missnomer indeed as it includes the blood glucose levels of stablisation of the control which generally are high to start then lowered slowly for allow the body to adjust..

I wouldn't get too hung up over the A1c results as such, as yes they are used by our health care professionals as a risk of complications indicator.. But they do have limitations to them due to when it comes to depicting good control..

Two identical A1c's can be achieved from two very different controls..

The problem being being it's an adverage the hypo's masking the level's of the highs.

It's the day to day control that's more important than the A1c result, get the day to day right then the A1c will look after itself...

It's better to have a tight range of control on a daily bases and get a 8% than to swing from hypo's to high's and get a 7% A1c...

Ruth

Yes it's a bit higher than one would like, the first A1c is a bit of a missnomer indeed as it includes the blood glucose levels of stablisation of the control which generally are high to start then lowered slowly for allow the body to adjust..

I wouldn't get too hung up over the A1c results as such, as yes they are used by our health care professionals as a risk of complications indicator.. But they do have limitations to them due to when it comes to depicting good control..

Two identical A1c's can be achieved from two very different controls..

The problem being being it's an adverage the hypo's masking the level's of the highs.

It's the day to day control that's more important than the A1c result, get the day to day right then the A1c will look after itself...

It's better to have a tight range of control on a daily bases and get a 8% than to swing from hypo's to high's and get a 7% A1c...

This is exactly what my DSN told me when I expressed concerns over my A1c results. I was 13 point something when I had my first one done about 11 years ago and struggled to get it below 9 until starting on the pump inMarch this year.

Thanks everyone & Bev, it is only been less than 4 months - we have just started carb counting 2 weeks now and it was 1 unit in 20g carbs now the doctor suggested 1 in 15g that we have started it now, fingers crossed 🙂

Thats great - carb couting should be able to help you get those day to day levels down. Like others have said - its still early days and I feel sure that you will be working hard on getting those levels in check. There is a great book called 'carbsandcals' that a lot of people on the childrens list use - it might help you in the early days if your finding it diffficult. One of the hardest things I found about carb couting was when we ate out. But now, we can just look at a plate of food and give a good 'guesstimate' and mostly get it right. (but not always!).🙂Bev

Carly had her lunch and we did 1 in 15, now she just had hypo... Oops I have texted DSN about this, is there 1 in 17.5.. Only joking!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back