good news

Status
Not open for further replies.

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi all,
A couple of weeks ago i posted a thread about storing your baby teeth and gathering stem cells.
We sent A's last milk tooth off last week as it had just fallen out and they rang today to confirm his stem cells are growing! Woooopeeeee!!!!!!!!:D

Of course it will be years before stem cells can be used to treat conditions like diabetes - but from the research JDRF are doing - they have confirmed that stem cells are the future in terms of either a cure or helping to alleviate the complications. So at least we will have them if they can be of any benefit to A.🙂Bev

This is Brilliant news Bev......I've kept all Nathan's baby teeth....:D...Definately the way forward...

Heidi
xx🙂

Thats really interesting didn't know you could even do that. Is it expensive to do?

It is about ?1000 - and you pay storage per year - about ?90 - but i took the view that we (as a family) are not having a holiday this year because we are waiting for the pump date - so didnt want that to be an obstacle. Also, it is a great way of using the DLA. Its just another option for the future.🙂Bev

Wow - good forward planning! Let's hope those R&D bods get a move on now! 🙂

This is Brilliant news Bev......I've kept all Nathan's baby teeth....:D...Definately the way forward...

Heidi
xx🙂

Hi Heidi,
Unfortunately, the teeth have to be freshly fallen out (?) - because its the cells that attach to the gum that they get the stem cells from. But who knows what techniques they will have in the future - so keep the teeth!🙂Bev

We can get DNA from the stuff inside the teeth, so who knows what might happen in the future.

Stem cells from newly fallen teeth is a way forward and I hope some good comes from all the hard work.

This is great news and what a great family you are to do this rather than have a holiday x

is it just baby teeth?
sounds good, worth pulling one out maybe?
haha.
xx

No - they can use molars - but milk teeth do give a better chance of collecting the stem cells. If this hadnt worked for his milk tooth - then we would have just carried on using the molars etc - that is all in the package price - so they just keep going until they have some cells. Its never too late if you still have molar teeth going spare!🙂Bev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back