Good news and bad news

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukjeff27

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Had my hba1c result today, 6.1 and the doc is happy and says if its the same next time she will reduce my medication (yay!)
Unfortunately whilst there i had a foot examination and apparently ive lost all vibration sensation, although i can still feel the pricky thing, she said this was cause for alarm as i was only diagnosed nine months ago!😡

Well done on the hbA results Jeff good number there, sorry to hear about your feet gladly she said no real worries as your quite newly diagnosed though.How are you feeling about the news about your feet? was it expected?

Good news on the A1C Jeff, and reduction in meds 🙂 Sorry to hear of the foot problem - did they suggest any form of treatment or whether it may rectify itself if you keep good control?

Don't let it spoil your Wembley experience!

Good news on the A1C Jeff, and reduction in meds 🙂 Sorry to hear of the foot problem - did they suggest any form of treatment or whether it may rectify itself if you keep good control?

Don't let it spoil your Wembley experience!

dont worry, i wont! as long as we win! i know you live in Southampton too Northerner but judging by your username you're not a native, do you have any affiliation to Saints?

dont worry, i wont! as long as we win! i know you live in Southampton too Northerner but judging by your username you're not a native, do you have any affiliation to Saints?

I'm not a big fan of football - my 'local' team is Halifax Town, so you can probably understand why 🙂 I tend to follow the local teams where I live ( was a Wednesday-ite in Sheffield) and like to see them do well. Saints really don't belong where they are in the league and a good football win gives a boost to the city. Hope you have a terrific day and they bring back some silverware! 🙂

Ive been going since 1977 (the year after we last won the cup!😡) and during that time we've won the grand total of Zilch!😱 although ive personally been to three finals and eight semi finals!
Hopefully Sunday all that changes!

Brilliant hba1c - well done! It seems odd that you have foot problems with an hba1c like that - are they offering you any form of treatment?:DBev

As you know, I do😉, and I'm of to the final as well. I hope things aren't as bad as you think Jeff, get one of those wooden roller foot massager's.

PS just back from the game, we were quite poor at time, that Mills is a joke IMHO

Greta number jeff, shame about the foot thing, Dave might have a point to get some stimulant massage thing, although I have no idea!

PS enjoy the twin towers, doh, I mean the big arch!

And thank you for demoliting MK scum!:D😉

Fantastic result on your HbA1c, well done :D. Sorry to hear about your feet, is there anyting they recommend?

Thanks for all your replies, the doctor said it is a cause for concern about the vibration thing but that if i cant feel the pointer was more to worry about.
Does everone have the same test? first i had to feel the vibration from a tuning fork (which i couldnt) then she poked my toes with a pointy thing which i could feel fine. Is this a standard test?
Rossi-Mac, no problem we've beaten them four times this season!
Diabetic Dave, thats what we need, to win when playing badly COYR.

Thanks for all your replies, the doctor said it is a cause for concern about the vibration thing but that if i cant feel the pointer was more to worry about.
Does everone have the same test? first i had to feel the vibration from a tuning fork (which i couldnt) then she poked my toes with a pointy thing which i could feel fine. Is this a standard test?
Rossi-Mac, no problem we've beaten them four times this season!
Diabetic Dave, thats what we need, to win when playing badly COYR.

Yup i usually get that test done at my annual review plus i got it the first week i was diagnosed.

yep we all get the same tests on the feet! i had mine yesterday and luckily were ok although the nurse did have to get out a mini ultrasound thing to find the pulse in my feet but she said they were still strong just quiet and hidden.
When did you last have your feet checked? hopefully they've found the problem early enough to help you🙂

Now im getting worried, the doc sort of poo pooed the result saying the point thing was more of a worry and that test was fine...........but the vibration test is obviously there for a reason if its standard! anyone know why we have this test and the implications of me not feeling it?

Ok i hope i'm not breaking any copyright laws but got this from www.drfoot.co.uk its pretty basic info but its useful. there are lots of websites out there that will give you some information but becareful not to dig too deep and scare yourself with it all....

The three main complications associated with diabetes are: -

?Neuropathy (diminished sensation)
?Poor circulation
?Decreased resistance to infection.

Neuropathy can simply be defined as a complete or partial loss of sensation in the feet and legs. A patient may not be able to feel a soft touch or a sharp sensation on their lower limbs. Therefore, the patient is unable to recognize and prevent injuries due to neuropathy. This can result in severe trauma and injury to the feet.

A chiropodist may test if a diabetic patient has neuropathic feet by testing if the patient can feel soft touch, sharp touch and use a vibrating fork to test if the patient can feel the sensation of vibration against their skin.

Neuropathy can also lead to sharp shooting pains in the feet. These can be very painful and usually occur at night. It can also cause muscle weakness in the foot, which can result in foot drop. Foot drop is when a foot can not be raised during walking. This may lead to bunions, corns and calluses

Poor Circulation
People with diabetes often suffer from peripheral vascular disease. This can result in cramps in the calves. This is known as intermittent claudication. The temperature of the skin may decrease and there may be a change in color of the skin. A decrease in the flow of blood to the feet produces inadequate delivery of oxygen and nutrients to the foot. This can lead to serious consequences if a foot is injured, as healing will be impaired. For this reason, diabetic patients are urged to take better care of their feet. Especially elderly diabetic patients, as infections can spread rapidly through their feet.

Oh my god its all becoming clearer now Fran, thanks for that extra info, i think i have been experiencing foot droop and also have bunions! tightness and cramps of the calves too! i think id better go back to the doctor.
Come to think of it whilst i was there i told the doc about some red itchy inflamed skin around the ankles which she put down to eczema (of which ive never suffered and im 42!) and gave me a prescription for some cream.
From this i would say im pretty certain im suffering from diabetic neuropathy😱 also at my eye check they said there was damage already (only diagnosed in september) i put this to my doctor and she said some people are more sensitive and more prone to diabetes complications and i am one of the unlucky ones.
Perhaps i should sell my Wembley ticket and put it towards a wheelchair:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back