Good intentions are not enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty1500

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have paid my ?60, had my free-check-up and the swimming pool is fantastic. So why am I so reluctant to use the health facilities at my disposal?

I know I need to get fit but the thought of slogging my way through a gym or swimming session does not appeal at all. I understand the health benefits, I really do.

Even at my fittest as a young man, training filled me with the same mind numbing feelings. I am the classic type of being led to water but not drinking.

I have done the slimming bit where I lost six stone and promptly put back another eight. I have enquired about a gastric band but I am too slim. I buy all the right foods then gorge myself on them until I feel bloated and tired.

I am certainly standing at the health crossroads and do not know which way to turn.

It might sound daft, but walking is an excellent form of exercise and you can do it anywhere and anytime. Better though, if you can plan a nice walk taking in some local sights or history - you'll forget you're exercising 🙂 I was a member of a gym for a while, but I didn't enjoy it really. I could never understand all those people running on treadmills when there was beautiful sunshine outside! Quite liked swimming for a while, but find it a palaver these days. Running for me, any day! :D

I know what you mean Monty. I lack the get up and go to get up and go. I'll go out for a good long walk with the dog if it's dry, but days like today I barely move unless I have to. I just can't seem to find the motivation.

It might sound daft, but walking is an excellent form of exercise and you can do it anywhere and anytime. Better though, if you can plan a nice walk taking in some local sights or history - you'll forget you're exercising 🙂 I was a member of a gym for a while, but I didn't enjoy it really. I could never understand all those people running on treadmills when there was beautiful sunshine outside! Quite liked swimming for a while, but find it a palaver these days. Running for me, any day! :D

I do enjoy walking (I walk 3-4 miles very time I play golf)....This has given me food for thought - thanks for the reply.

monty the main thing is moderation and take things one thing at a time...this is no short term thing so you have to adjust slowly ...i hate swimming in local pool as it is so chlorinated ...but give me a river or lake or even the sea...and i love it... what i have done is increase my daily walk by 5mins or so per week within a month i was walking 40mins a day not 15...good luck x

monty the main thing is moderation and take things one thing at a time...this is no short term thing so you have to adjust slowly ...i hate swimming in local pool as it is so chlorinated ...but give me a river or lake or even the sea...and i love it... what i have done is increase my daily walk by 5mins or so per week within a month i was walking 40mins a day not 15...good luck x

This could be the key to my future reference exercise...I am formulating my action plan so this is a useful comment - thanks

This could be the key to my future reference exercise...I am formulating my action plan so this is a useful comment - thanks

no prob monty , its the same with all of it really moderation, change things so they stay changed how ever little it seems and if you slip dont worry we all do it just pick yourself up, dust yourself down, and start again ...
are you testing ?

no prob monty , its the same with all of it really moderation, change things so they stay changed how ever little it seems and if you slip dont worry we all do it just pick yourself up, dust yourself down, and start again ...
are you testing ?

Yes, I am testing - I am planning a strategy to reduce it and to get fit and change for life as they say.

Yes, I am testing - I am planning a strategy to reduce it and to get fit and change for life as they say.

and you've got this place for support...ranting is totally welcome !!!:D

I must admit, this site is a must for me. Like everyone on here we have a story to tell and advice to give. Thank you for your interest.

no probs monty i tend to see it like barter..im useless at remembering the medical in and outs so try and offer advice when i can about stuff i know or am good at ..everyone here has a valid role in this forum in which ever way they can

Try walking when it's dry and sunny and dare I suggest getting a Nintendo Wii fit! for rainy days.

Know what you mean about exercise

Wow, always had the same problem. But I have finally licked it. My mind always says " Do it tommorrow " Or " you deserve a day of rest"or " Its raining".These thoughts don't hold sway anymore. All the time these word rattle through my brain , I continue to put on clothes and walkin' shoes. Then I start walking. No matter what. Also I use to look for different routes to change the scenery, that didn't work. I now walk the same route everyday, day after day. Saying hello to my Thai friends and neighbors.
I couldn't stand plain walking. So one day a article I had read 15 yrs. ago, while flying to the US, described NORDIC WALKING. Well I googled it. Found two walking sticks from the jungle and that was that . I really enjoy it. Its like defeating the walking syndrome because it uses 46% more energy, burns more calories and builds the upper body.
With this exercise I have Brought my Hba1c to 5.5 , maybe lower because I didn't do a a1c this last three months. But my FBS was 96. I only test FBS every 3 months.
My Cholesterol went from high to very normal .
And my Blood Pressure returned to normal.
Plus lost over 50 pounds.
By the way I couldn't stand to exercise in those dirty health spas or Gyms. They are just icky. And smelly. I walk alone !!

hi, i paid for gym membership for a year and never went once! i got a puppy last year when i was diagnosed and now i have to go out, i do weekly flyball training with her so have to run around with her.
I have just joined Rosemary conely too, the diet it just healthy eating which i do anyway but you do an exercise class too so we will see how that goes.

hope you get sorted but if you like golf can you play more often?

Julie x

Personally, I don't use gyms. I much prefer the free outdoors!

Mind you, I did invest in a rowing machine too, which can be used to pick up the slack if I don't go for my regular daily walk. But, generally, I do both (1hr walk and 30min rowing session each day).

Sorting out the food intake is also a must too!

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back