Good fat and bad fats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pigeon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I've been wondering for a while about "good fats" i.e. mono-unsaturated fats such as olive oil. I think it's generally recognised that they're better for you than saturated fats e.g. butter. But what I'm wondering is, are they actually beneficial to your heart, or just a better alternative?

For example, with a salad, should you add olive oil dressing because it's good for you, or not add it because it's extra fat?

Or is olive oil actually not beneficial, and so it's just a healthier alternative, e.g. use Bertolli instead of butter in sandwiches, but it would be healthiest not to use any type of spread?

Hope that makes sense! Thanks in advance for any advice.

Olive oil contains lots of phytonutrients and in particular certain polyphenols which are antitoxidant,anti-imflammatory and anticoagulant. These might be why it appears to be so beneficial for the cardiovascular system.( rather than it's monounsaturated fatty acid content)
For example ,one study found that the higher the polyphenol content of the olive oil, the better the effect on HDL(good cholesterol)
Lower refined oils(cold pressed, extra virgin) contain more of the 'goodies' but storing the oil in the light (as on supermarket shelves) destroys them. It's best to buy good quality oil in small quantities in dark bottles or larger quantities in cans and transfer to smaller bottles 'in use'. Heating also destroys many of the nutrients so it's best used uncooked in dressings,

Just because it's good for you though doesn't mean that more is better . One study found 25 ml as a dressing in a meal to be fine but 40ml too much, producing oxidative stress. As one tablespoon has about 125 calories too much won't help weight loss either.
Loads of detail about the various studies and ways of using it here:http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=132

As for Bertorelli, I don't really know, but to me it seems to be a highly refined product that has jumped on the olive oil is good for you bandwagon.

Lower refined oils(cold pressed, extra virgin) contain more of the 'goodies' but storing the oil in the light (as on supermarket shelves) destroys them. It's best to buy good quality oil in small quantities in dark bottles or larger quantities in cans and transfer to smaller bottles 'in use'. Heating also destroys many of the nutrients so it's best used uncooked in dressings

that's really interesting, i had no idea about the light thing!

I get mine from Lidls, where it's usually stored in the packing boxes it comes in, so if I take one from the middle....

You might get some help from the site

www.foodsmatter.com

It has all kinds of information about allergies and intolerances too, so may be worth an explore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back