Good Diabetic App

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello all
As a new year is here, then a new and hopefully a better control
Does anyone recommend a good app to record bloods and insulin.
Cheers any a happy controlled year

I just rely on Librelink. Since I use Novorapid and Levemir, I get the insulin doses recorded just by scanning the pens. So basically no effort on my part (which is realistically the only way the things are going to get recorded).

I wondered if the App you wanted needed to be good, or whether you wanted one that worked well with good diabetics????? (never been able to describe meself as the latter ...... so I very much like Bruces realism!) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I find it always underestimates for me, as does my Libre app.
I have linked it to the Health app on my iPhone and it has estimated my HbA1C to be 76.5 would that be based on all the BG readings in the health app?

Hello all
As a new year is here, then a new and hopefully a better control
Cheers any a happy controlled year
Similar to @Bruce Stephens I record all my insulin doses on my Libre reader. I used to also log all my carbs but since I eat low carb and therefore have to also inject for protein, and then more or less stopped carb counting because it wasn't really beneficial for me any more, I mostly just record insulin now and I mostly calculate my insulin doses based on my Libre readings rather than carbs.

Do you have Libre or other CGM (Constant Glucose Monitoring system)? If not, you are entitled to sensors on prescription and each comes with a means of logging info, be it via a phone app which is used to read the sensors or a reader if you don't have a compatible phone.
If you don't want a CGM and prefer to rely on finger prick tests then the My Sugr app is well regarded I believe.

@Duane Charles The HbA1c prediction depends how representative your finger prick tests are. The more frequently you test, both before and after meals, the more likely the average of them is going to be representative of what your levels are actually doing and the more likely it will correlate to your HbA1c. With CGM our blood is being sampled every few minutes throughout the day and night so it gives a reasonably representative average of our BG levels over a 3 month period, so it can correlate to a more reliable HbA1c prediction but most of us still find that it's prediction is a few mmols lower than actual HbA1c.

The HbA1c prediction depends how representative your finger prick tests are. The more frequently you test, both before and after meals, the more likely the average of them is going to be representative of what your levels are actually doing and the more likely it will correlate to your HbA1c. With CGM our blood is being sampled every few minutes throughout the day and night so it gives a reasonably representative average of our BG levels over a 3 month period, so it can correlate to a more reliable HbA1c prediction but most of us still find that it's prediction is a few mmols lower than actual HbA1c.
I have just over a months worth of readings mostly 4 times a day. These are taken pre-FOTF, 2 hours after breakfast, pre evening meal and 2 hours after that meal.

I have just over a months worth of readings mostly 4 times a day. These are taken pre-FOTF, 2 hours after breakfast, pre evening meal and 2 hours after that meal.
It sounds like a reasonably representative sample but of course you never really know what is happening between those 4 finger pricks. Libre and other CGM can be quite an eye opener for showing us how much our levels vary throughout the day and night, compared to the odd finger prick, but I think it is safe to say your estimated HbA1c will give you a rough idea and you will likely be somewhere between 65 and 85 at the moment..... so if you were getting a blood test tomorrow..... but obviously things can change over time so if your next blood test is not for a month or two you would want to look at the new predicted HbA1c just before your blood test.

It sounds like a reasonably representative sample but of course you never really know what is happening between those 4 finger pricks. Libre and other CGM can be quite an eye opener for showing us how much our levels vary throughout the day and night, compared to the odd finger prick, but I think it is safe to say your estimated HbA1c will give you a rough idea and you will likely be somewhere between 65 and 85 at the moment..... so if you were getting a blood test tomorrow..... but obviously things can change over time so if your next blood test is not for a month or two you would want to look at the new predicted HbA1c just before your blood test.
My next blood test isn’t until Jan 19th, so I’ll be keeping an eye on the readings.

What I do find strange is that despite my daily average FPS being 12.2 (still high, I know) that the HbA1C appears to have gone up. Which is lower than the 18.8 taken near the beginning of December.

Last edited:
My next blood test isn’t until Jan 19th, so I’ll be keeping an eye on the readings.

What I do find strange is that despite my daily average FPS being 12.2 (still high, I know) that the HbA1C appears to have gone up. Which is lower than the 18.8 taken near the beginning of December.
Was that 18.8 a one off reading or was it an average and if so over what period and when were you testing? You have to have a consistent testing pattern of both pre and post meal readings over a period of at least several weeks to get any useful information from the HbA1c conversion. I can't remember when you started testing but I believe you were not initially consistent with pre and post meal testing, if I remember rightly.

Was that 18.8 a one off reading or was it an average and if so over what period and when were you testing? You have to have a consistent testing pattern of both pre and post meal readings over a period of at least several weeks to get any useful information from the HbA1c conversion. I can't remember when you started testing but I believe you were not initially consistent with pre and post meal testing, if I remember rightly.
I started the regular readings at the end of November last year (2023). I also had a reading of 1.2 and didn’t give a thought to retesting that day. I have another 3 or 4 high readings during this period ranging from 17.9 up to 20.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back