Good Bacteria in the Intestine Prevent Diabetes, Study Suggests

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
All humans have enormous numbers of bacteria and other micro-organisms in the lower intestine. In fact our bodies contain about ten times more bacteria than the number of our own cells and these tiny passengers are extremely important for our health. They help us digest our food and provide us with energy and vitamins. These 'friendly? commensal bacteria in the intestine help to stop the 'bad guys? such as Salmonella that cause infections, taking hold. Even the biochemical reactions that build up and maintain our bodies come from our intestinal bacteria as well as our own cells.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/01/130118064731.htm

Interesting Alan, at one time they seemed very interested that I'd had a stomach bug (off work over a week, not just a day or two) a couple of months before diagnosis, cos they'd seen a lot of new T1 peeps this had happened to - gastro probs, couple of months later, bang.

Wasn't followed up though and I wasn't nosey enough in those days to cross examine em. I would now! LOL

Interesting Alan, at one time they seemed very interested that I'd had a stomach bug (off work over a week, not just a day or two) a couple of months before diagnosis, cos they'd seen a lot of new T1 peeps this had happened to - gastro probs, couple of months later, bang.

Wasn't followed up though and I wasn't nosey enough in those days to cross examine em. I would now! LOL

I had a bad stomach bug which seemed to scupper my pancreas and landed me in hospital. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back