good afternoon ...diagnosed type 1 on insulin just over a year ago .recently went to gp with very painful joints got bloods and vitamin d very very lo

Status
Not open for further replies.

scatty17

hello diagnosed with type 1 and on insulin just over a year ago...got bloods done and was very low b12 so on injections. went to gp last week with very painful joints got bloods and now very low vitamin d and to get meds. has this happened to anyone else thabks

Hi . Are you or were you taking Metformin for any length of time? Metformin can inhibit the absorption of vitamin B12 which is why injections are needed because any oral supplement will suffer the same fate as dietary vit B12. As regards the Vitamin D I think most people in the UK will be low at this time of year and are encouraged to take a supplement. Metformin shouldn't block/inhibit and oral supplement of vit D I don't think. I eat lots of fats and particularly animals fats and full fat dairy so I suspect I get my vitamin D through that because I don't take a supplement.... That said, I am not sure if they have checked my levels.

Hopefully the vitamin supplements will give your health a boost. The B12 deficiency can make you lethargic and cause pins and needles and cramps etc as it is an important nutrient to support our nerves and with diabetes and the risk of neuropathy, keeping our nerves healthy is very important.

My iron and vitamin d are low even though I take a supplement. I just take a stronger prescription supplement for the iron and have it regularly retested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back