Going on holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akasha

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Just looking for advice regarding flying.
I will be flying to america this easter, but due to my weird time of injecting long acting insulin, i will need it whilst on the plane.

Any advice regarding injecting on a plane?

I just do it in my seat and can do is discreetly as I'll do it on the side that my other half is sitting. As long as there isn't alot or turbulance (Spelling?) then it's been fine for me.

Just inject whilst at your seat, discreetly probably is best, if anyone complains, tell them injection is preferable to diabetic coma and death!!
A tad exaggerated I know!!

Id echo what the others have said or if you feel uncomfortble with that go to the toilet on the plane.

Quietly injecting whist in seat is easier said then done when there are two of us will need insulin.
I was more concerned as an aquantance told me that last time he was on a plane, someone went to inject and the airplane staff tried to arrest teh guy.
Has anyone had problems before with airplane staff? :confused:

Unless they want to be sued by every diabetic that flys, they cannot tell you can't used your insulin. Look at your airlines web site and see how they want items like that displayed and packed in your carry-on bag. I know all airlines make allowances for persons with medical conditions of all types.

When I check in I just say that I have insulin pen needles and they are fine with it. The number of people with diabetes coming through airports must be huge. Maybe you could tell the air host as you get on the plane that you are both diabetic and will be injecting during the flight.

Can you inject into side of stomach or thighs when the table is down? nobody will be able to see what you are doing then?

I used to work for a major US carrier and as long as you let them know at check-in that you are diabetic and will need to inject during the flight it should be ok.

They will put a note in your booking about it so when the final passenger flight manifest is printed out it will say against your name that you are diabetic and the flight attendants will be aware of the fact.

I've always injected whilst seated and never had an issue. I always make sure I have a Drs note to say I need to carry the medicines. My GP doesn't charge they just print a standard letter on headed paper which contains a list of all my scripts and when they were last issued.

The last time I flew to the US it was a 10hour flight and I told a member of the flight crew just in case - they were fine and said it was best to know incase of any problems. On the way back the person I told looked at me as if I was crazy to mention it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back