Going on holiday, what do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cormac

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I'm going on holiday on Tuesday, with T1D, using a pen, what do I need to take with me??

Hallo Cormac, as a T2 I'd take speedos and flip flops. 🙂 Keep checking your post, lots of T1s here who will put you right about gear to take and whatever you need for your hols.

I'm going on holiday on Tuesday, with T1D, using a pen, what do I need to take with me??
You need to take with you your supplies that you use everyday and make sure you have more than enough in case you are delayed on your journey home.

Hello, Cormac. In no particular order of importance, and assuming you are going abroad/flying.
Insulin pens, spare pen for each type of insulin, enough cartridges (or flex pens if you are using disposable pens) for any eventuality, including dropping one and breaking it.
Glucose meter and strips.Lancet device (and spare)and supply of lancets. Spare glucose meter.
Doctors letter if flying, to produce at security. ( I've never been asked for mine, but others here have. Failing a letter, a copy of your prescription)
Frio pouch or flask you can fill with cool water once you're through security to keep insulin cool in transit, if going somewhere hot.
Clear plastic bag to put insulin etc in for passing through security.

Don't pack insulin in the hold, even though some airlines say they keep luggage above 5 degrees, i don't trust them!

Work out how much of everything you will need for the length of the stay and take double, to allow for loss/breakages/delays etc. @Robin has written a good list!

Travel Planning Advice for the Holiday Period

The summer months are here and it's important to consider planning to ensure your long-awaited holiday time goes to plan. Key points to consider:

• Check if you need to have vaccinations when going abroad
  • If you’re taking insulin, check what insulin will be available in the country you’re visiting
  • It’s important to plan for the journey as well as for your destination. For example, think about the food that will be available to you when you’re travelling and test your blood glucose (sugar) more often than usual
  • Remember to keep your testing equipment somewhere that’s easily accessible during travel
  • Take a letter from your diabetes team that explains the types of insulin and the devices that you use
  • If you’re flying, store insulin in hand luggage, as it can freeze in the hold of the plane
  • You are entitled to an additional medical bag. If in doubt contact your airline in advance
  • If you cross time zones, keep your injections and meals to your own watch times
  • Change your watch on arrival and when you arrive back home
  • Remember that if you travel west, the day is longer, so you may need more food and insulin/tablets. If you travel east, the day is shorter, so you may need less food and insulin/tablets
  • Take adequate supplies of your medication for the journey, and allow for delays
  • Make sure you have enough carbohydrate to last if you are delayed
  • Your diabetes team will give you in-depth advice on how to manage your medication on your journey.

Once you have arrived:

• Keep your insulin in a cool place and out of direct sunlight (e.g. in a cool bag or fridge), but make sure it doesn’t freeze.
  • Monitor your blood glucose (sugar) control – a warm climate can cause blood glucose to drop and you may need less medication
  • Consider which hypo treatment to carry with you
  • Drink plenty of fluids
  • Don’t walk barefoot on hot sand or other surfaces
  • Consider your footwear and look after your feet

Hello Cormac, i'd just add that if there's time, get a medicalert 'something or other' – I have a bracelet. More for peace of mind, rather than a deal breaker.

And I make sure I have some jelly beans (sorry, i mean glucose tablets) on me at all times, when i'm in an unfamiliar environment. Actually i have them at all times regardless, but they're so much more important on holiday. Holidays generally mean eating foods that are a bit different to what you're used to, and at different times, and doing different stuff. Plus more alcohol (or is that just me?!). I always find my control much more difficult when travelling, so it's important to test test test test test test...

Have fun!

All above are good points, I always ask doctors for enough meds for double the length of holiday and add 7 more days to each for delays.

Pack half in hand luggage half in suitcase.

You are now fairly bomb proof, your hand luggage can be stolen and your still ok, the airline can send your case to Russia and your still ok, the airline can go out of business and your left stranded for a week and your still ok.

Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Hello Cormac, i'd just add that if there's time, get a medicalert 'something or other' – I have a bracelet. More for peace of mind, rather than a deal breaker.

And I make sure I have some jelly beans (sorry, i mean glucose tablets) on me at all times, when i'm in an unfamiliar environment. Actually i have them at all times regardless, but they're so much more important on holiday. Holidays generally mean eating foods that are a bit different to what you're used to, and at different times, and doing different stuff. Plus more alcohol (or is that just me?!). I always find my control much more difficult when travelling, so it's important to test test test test test test...

Have fun!
Hey, more alcohol? He's 16! Wait....its 2018....yeah, he'll be knocking them back on hols 🙂

I wouldn't pack any of it in the hold. And because I hate flying more than pretty much anything, I never let go of my bag!
Enjoy!

Do the pens have to go in clear plastic bags or is it just enough to declare them with the doctor's letter?

Do the pens have to go in clear plastic bags or is it just enough to declare them with the doctor's letter?
I always put my pens into a clear plastic bag, with my spare insulin cartridges, on the grounds that they are liquids and so should be put into a clear bag, (and if not on view, may show up as something dodgy as they go through the scanner). I never produce my doctors letter, and I've never been asked for it, but I've got it with my other documents just in case. Funnily enough, a couple of times I've had my small handbag searched after it's been through the scanner, but not my other bag where my needles etc are!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back