Going low alot

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 33898
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 33898

So I've spent soo much time trying to get my post meal spikes down which I have pretty much avoided going over 10 mmol except for a few times a week ( takeaway or some alcohol) I thought it was my tweaks to food I eat as the insulin to carb ratio is the same but now I think maybe something else is happening. During the honeymoon period can the pancreas suddenly improve further even after months since diagnosis ? I'm seeing my time in range drop because I'm in the low range around 10% of the time which i know is terrible but unsure were to start. Basal is down to 5 units a day. Meal ratios 1 to 15 which is an increase from before. Having to snack about 20g of carbs between meals to keep from going low, but doesn't always work. Very little sleep with waking up to treat hypos, eating glucose tablets or jelly babies at 300am is getting a bit much.

I think you need to discuss the problem with your nurse with a view to a basal decrease. It isn't unusual for the remaining Beta cells to have a resurgence of productivity when they have had the strain taken off them by exogenous insulin, so that can certainly happen during the honeymoon period and some people find they go through a spell of needing almost no insulin after an initial period of higher doses. It is usually short lived, but important to discuss it with your medical professionals and discuss a basal dose reduction and possible bolus ratio adjustment too.

Yes, the beta cells recover a bit because the load has been taken off them due to the insulin you’re injecting. So, your doses may well need reducing. Also, be careful not to be too strict. You might be better off keeping your spikes below 12 for example rather than 10. The target for Type 1 is basically to be back in range by the next meal. This is particularly important for those who are recently diagnosed. The spikes and lows are a part of the honeymoon. Raise your max for the spike and don’t be afraid to eat a snack a few hours after a meal if you need to. That’s very normal during the honeymoon.

You mention nocturnal hypos - they’re the ones to be avoided. Cut your basal down and/or have a big enough bedtime snack.

Finally, please don’t judge your results by others here who’ve had Type 1 for years. I think you’re probably trying to be too strict with yourself. Fighting hypos is exhausting. Ease off a little and you should find it more relaxing.

Thanks as always for the helpful info. Although most of what I said about being low alot and Hypos everyday is true , its obvious now my libre sensor has been playing up, which made my levels seem worse. It just stayed in red most of yesterday so I called up to report it faulty, finger pricks weren't matching up at all. The sensor just stopped working completely this morning , 4 days left on it. I'll have a new one from pharmacy on Friday. Managed to sleep better last night with no sensor alarms, except I set a phone alarm for 3am just to check in on thing seeing as my awareness isn't fantastic.

Diabetic nurse said reduce my basal again and see how things go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back