Going for it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorraine hunt

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I would like to thank everyone for all the information, and advice on here, helped me decide to move onto the pump, and have an appointment on Friday with my hospital, one of many to hopefully get onto course early January, have a question the pump I think will opt for would be the Medtronic 640g, however have bee told the smart guard part not funded, anyone any idea what costs this would incur??? Happy to self fund providing not major money.

What do you personally class as 'major' though, Lorraine - it will be different for everyone! But, hopefully someone who self-funds will be able to tell you soon.

We were self funding the Medtronic sensors so I can tell you the ongoing cost of consumables. A box of 5 sensors costs £275, so each sensor is £55. I think boxes of 10 work out slightly cheaper per sensor. Each one lasts six days. Some people manage to restart them (tell the pump it's a new sensor while keeping the old one connected), and get a few more days' life out of them. We never get more than the six days, sometimes only 4 or 5, but due to sensitive skin I think.

The transmitter needs to be purchased upfront, which is a one-off cost. Our current one cost £750 back in 2008 - only warrantied for 6 months but has lasted nearly 8 years with part time use. The transmitter for the 640G is a different model (we are still using the Veo pump atm) - I'm guessing you might be looking at an initial £1000 perhaps. And if it developed a fault after the six months warranty expires, you'd have to buy another.

I was under the impression that, under the Sale of Goods (Implied Terms) Act 1978, it's illegal for a consumer warranty to be less than 12 months -- and if Medtronic say otherwise, they're committing a crime. 😱

I was under the impression that, under the Sale of Goods (Implied Terms) Act 1978, it's illegal for a consumer warranty to be less than 12 months -- and if Medtronic say otherwise, they're committing a crime. 😱

It's definitely a six month warranty. Perhaps medical devices are exempt from this regulation?

Really good luck & I think you have made a very good choice. Its on my shopping list 🙂

It is still a great pump without the CGM/smartguard component 🙂

Well, my appointment with pump clinic confirmed as Monday, am ready for the change now, and feeling positive. Have a 10k run end May for diabetus uk, am sure will be all steady way before then, and going forward give me more flexibility than I currently have. But take onboard the parts where as you say will probably want to throw it out the window until get my head around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back