Going abroad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jac60

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi,
Someone mentioned I would have to let my airline know I will be taking my insulin etc on the plane? Can someone advise please.

No. Absolutely no reason to tell the airline or airport security about your diabetes kit

Thank you only someone said I would and obviously don’t want it confiscated ‍♀️
I've never had any issues with taking pens, insulin, libre etc. As long as any vials go in a clear see through bag when you go through security scanners all should be well.

I have travelled overseas with my insulin, needles, etc hundreds of times (I am not exaggerating) and never needed to tell anyone.
In the olden times when you actually spoke to someone when checking in luggage, they would ask if I had an sharp items in my hand luggage. That was the only time I would mention my needles.
I always carry a letter from my doctor explaining why I have these items. In all of my flying, I have needed this once but I continue to carry it for insurance. Others carry their repeat prescription.
Needles, etc. are too small to be seen on the x-ray so the airport security don't question them. The only time any of my diabetes kit was questioned was when I had a metal insulin pen. These are plastic now so unlikely to be an issue.
Apart from treating insulin as liquid (place it in a clear plastic bag), no one is interested in it.

Carry twice as much of EVERYTHING than you think you may need, ensure you have travel insurance and have a great trip.

The other thing worth taking is your white prescription print out, just in case you need to get any supplies when away.

I used to travel overseas extensively for work and in all those years I was never asked to produce my doctors letter, (despite religiously carrying it with me) neither have I ever been asked about my insulin or needles.

Last edited:
I used to travel overseas extensively for work and in all those years I was asked to produce my doctors letter,
I've been asked just once. I think it's one of those things to be prepared for just in case, though it's unlikely to happen.

I've been asked just once. I think it's one of those things to be prepared for just in case, though it's unlikely to happen.
Likewise.
It costs nothing to have this extra level of insurance so it's a no brainer to carry it.

Last edited:
Have a lovely trip @Jac60 🙂

There are some general hints, tips and pointers here which might help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back