Going abroad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

robyn2211

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi there,

I’ve got my first trips abroad coming up since being diagnosed, looking for any handy hints that anyone has?

Do I need to let the airline know I am a T1 diabetic?

How is it getting through security with needles and medication?! Do I have to do anything in particular?

I’ve looked at Frio pouches to keep my insulin pens temperature regulated, are these good or any other recommendations for all my stuff?!

I’ve got a check up with my diabetic nurse very soon so I will of course ask her some stuff like how to inject for meals when I am not sure when the meal is or what it is?! (Its a work trip!) but I don’t always remember to ask stuff!!

Thanks in advance!
Have a great day all.

No. (You can if you like, of course.)
How is it getting through security with needles and medication?! Do I have to do anything in particular?
They're used to it, so almost certainly there'll be no issue. Have a letter from your DSN or GP saying you have type 1 diabetes, just in case.
I’ve looked at Frio pouches to keep my insulin pens temperature regulated, are these good or any other recommendations for all my stuff?!
I think we all use them and find them good.

In general, carry it all so you always know where it is. You can carry an extra (small, I think) bag just for medication, so use that allowance if it's convenient. Take more than you expect to need (you might be unexpectedly delayed somewhere).
I’ve got a check up with my diabetic nurse very soon so I will of course ask her some stuff like how to inject for meals when I am not sure when the meal is or what it is?!
Accept that you're not going to be quite as well controlled as you can be when you're in control of your food. So wait until you've got the food and inject then, and don't expect to be exactly right about the doses.

@Bruce Stephens has covered the majority of the points I would make after hundreds of flights with Type 1 diabetes.
The only things I would add are
- ask your DSN for the letter rather than your GP. GP will charge!
- some security staff prefer all liquids in the clear plastic bag and others are happy for insulin pens are separated. For ease, I use reusable pens and keep the insulin cartridges in my plastic bag with my shower, etc.
- there is no need to worry about needles, etc. they are too small to be seen on the x-rays
- make sure your insurance covers your diabetes, especially something like if you had a severe hypo.
- when you sit on the plane, make sure your hypo treatment is with you in your seat rather than in the over head locker. It is very "awkward" having a hypo when the seat belt light is on and realising your treatment is out of reach. I speak from experience!
- enjoy your trip ... especially if it is a holiday but even work trips should have a bit of fun!

I've not travelled long haul, yet; but made long car and train journeys as well as 4 hr flights. I currently don't have a Frio pouch, I use light weight jiffy bags, (one sometimes 2, one inside the other). These meet my needs of keeping my insulin at a reasonable temperature, including in the boot of my car on a warm day - but I do make sure the jiffy bags in the boot are also shielded by all other luggage.

My first long car trip in late August 2020, I put a bar of chocolate in the jiffy bag, to see if that was softened - it wasn't. While flying I kept all my D kit, including reserves, very close to me at all times, whether in a waiting area or inside the cabin. On the long car journey in UK, I left a certain amount locked in my boot when I didn't want to carry everything around with me; but I generally always have my pouch of pens with spare insulin cartridges with me - backpack or manbag. I work on the basis that in UK I can find an emergency Pharmacist before I actually run out of what I'm physically carrying.

Hi there,

I’ve got my first trips abroad coming up since being diagnosed, looking for any handy hints that anyone has?

I’ve got a check up with my diabetic nurse very soon so I will of course ask her some stuff like how to inject for meals when I am not sure when the meal is or what it is?! (Its a work trip!) but I don’t always remember to ask stuff!!

Thanks in advance!
Have a great day all.
Take a printed white copy of your prescription from your pharmacy, good to have if you need to get anything over there.
If you are using the libre, take extra sensors.
Worth knowing, that the trolleys on board have squishies or similar glucose sweets should you need them.

@Proud to be erratic I agree Frio is not needed in the UK.
However, they are very worthwhile for longer trips or when it is very hot as, unlike jiffy bags, they do not work through insulation which may ultimately be "breached" but through evaporation. Frio are also smaller and can be transported easily without being "charges" taking up even less space.
Unlike you, I have been on long haul flights and been to hot countries to places without fridges with my diabetes and would highly recommend Frio. I bought mine nearly 20 years ago and they are still working well so the value for money is high. (Unless you don't travel much and stay in cooler climes. )
Frio are useless in the cold.

Hi , I put all my various meds in an approved clear bag plus my test kit on the conveyor belt.

I do this so I cannot be accused of trying to hide anything ( meds etc ) from the security team.

HM government provide a good guide on type , quantity , liquids etc etc ( only use HM sites.)

Also make sure that the meds you take are allowed in the country you are travelling and not banned ( particularly Singapore)

Hi , I put all my various meds in an approved clear bag plus my test kit on the conveyor belt.

I do this so I cannot be accused of trying to hide anything ( meds etc ) from the security team.
As airport security are not interested in diabetes kit, I feel no need to share my personal medical information with strangers
I have never done this and never had a problem with airport security.
As I mentioned above, I have flown literally hundreds of times (coincidentally l, I am typing this at a boarding gate).
There is nothing to hide, nothing to be afraid of being accused of hiding and nothing to share either.

Can’t recommend a frio enough. Used my first one in Mexico in December and loved it. It was very warm and the long journeys too and from the airport would have been enough to make it warm. As our ice cold drinks bought in the airport were actually warm by the time we got into the hotel. And days out etc.
I just used the bathroom sink every 2 days for a quick too up of water.

As airport security are not interested in diabetes kit, I feel no need to share my personal medical information with strangers
I have never done this and never had a problem with airport security.
As I mentioned above, I have flown literally hundreds of times (coincidentally l, I am typing this at a boarding gate).
There is nothing to hide, nothing to be afraid of being accused of hiding and nothing to share either.
Hi , in general terms I agree with your comments but I was going through security at Birmingham International Airport when the trainie security offers where being trained.I

It took me 10 minutes to clear security and I travel light ( that did not include the queueing )

The security officers were being trained by the book and it shows.

The queue was horrendous !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back