Going abroad with a child with T1?

Leila23

Relationship to Diabetes
Other Type
Pronouns
She/Her
My 5 year old granddaughter was diagnosed a month ago and it’s extremely hard waking her up in the night to give her correction or juice but like you we have to deal with it just found this forum x
Can anyone tell me if they have taken there child abroad since being diabetic

Can anyone tell me if they have taken there child abroad since being diabetic
Yes, once when she was 9. (Not since as we found out she’s autistic and doesn’t like holidays!)
The basic tips are:
1. Work out how much of everything they will need and take at least double the amount
2. Split it between two people’s bags if possible, in case one gets lost
3. If you are flying, NEVER pack insulin in your suitcase, it will freeze in the aeroplane hold and then won’t work when it thaws out again
4. If the child is on a pump you may need a letter from your DSN explaining that it can’t go through x-ray machines or body scanners. Be aware GPs will charge for such a letter, hospital diabetes nurses usually don’t
5. Even if not on a pump, some people say it’s a good idea to have a copy of the prescription and/or a letter from GP or DSN explaining why you’ve got all the medical equipment. However many people say they’ve never needed to produce it, most airport staff are used to seeing diabetic people
6. Be prepared for some blood sugar disruption, they are out of routine, excited, depending on where you’re going temperatures may vary quite a lot from at home, etc etc. You’ll have to play it by ear and adjust things accordingly. Try not to get stressed though, it can be done! Above all, enjoy yourselves

But as @Inka said, you may get more responses if you start your own thread

I’ve moved your post into its own thread for you @Leila23

Welcome to the forum! :hello:

Thanks I’m just getting my head around all this

No problem at all! Happy to help and move things around where it seems helpful to stop threads getting mixed up 🙂

Welcome to the forum @Leila23

I haven’t taken children with T1 Abroad but have travelled myself quite a bit.
My tips would be
  • Take all the diabetes stuff that you think they will need and then double it. Things are a lot less predictable when away so it is best to be prepared with more stuff than you need. There are plenty of checklists available online, and include things like batteries, ketostix, spare test strips, …
  • Take a letter from your hospital team stating what insulin, stuff she will need to have with her. I have very rarely needed this but I have carried a crumpled one in with my passport just in case.
  • Keep the diabetes stuff with you, and especially the insulin, in your hand luggage.
  • If you want to get a sunshine lanyard at the airport and go through the special assistance chanel. This can be quicker or sometimes slower, but they are used to people having pumps, insulin etc with them, and stuff that cannot go through the whole body scanner.
Most importantly enjoy the holiday

Depending where you are going, can I suggest looking at some kind of cooling wallet to keep the insulin at a steady temp. 2 weeks after I was diagnosed, I was off to Malta where it was 35c. Concerned about keeping it cool enough (as we weren’t going to a final destination for a few hours after arriving there) I bought a Frio cooling wallet. Amazing! Lasted for days before needing soaked in cold water again for a few mins. Just don’t soak it for too long as then the pens will be such a tight fit!!!

Depending where you are going, can I suggest looking at some kind of cooling wallet to keep the insulin at a steady temp. 2 weeks after I was diagnosed, I was off to Malta where it was 35c. Concerned about keeping it cool enough (as we weren’t going to a final destination for a few hours after arriving there) I bought a Frio cooling wallet. Amazing! Lasted for days before needing soaked in cold water again for a few mins. Just don’t soak it for too long as then the pens will be such a tight fit!!!

Welcome to the forum @Leila23

I haven’t taken children with T1 Abroad but have travelled myself quite a bit.
My tips would be
  • Take all the diabetes stuff that you think they will need and then double it. Things are a lot less predictable when away so it is best to be prepared with more stuff than you need. There are plenty of checklists available online, and include things like batteries, ketostix, spare test strips, …
  • Take a letter from your hospital team stating what insulin, stuff she will need to have with her. I have very rarely needed this but I have carried a crumpled one in with my passport just in case.
  • Keep the diabetes stuff with you, and especially the insulin, in your hand luggage.
  • If you want to get a sunshine lanyard at the airport and go through the special assistance chanel. This can be quicker or sometimes slower, but they are used to people having pumps, insulin etc with them, and stuff that cannot go through the whole body scanner.
Most importantly enjoy the holiday
Thanks for the advice holiday was booked ages before my granddaughter was diagnosed it’s Egypt so abit scared about taking her x

Our nurse was great and had lots of tips and a letter for security etc so do talk to the team. Have snacks for on the plane and take hypo treatments in all the bags so there’s always some to hand. You can’t take liquids through security but I go to Boots and get drinks to take on the plane once airside. They tend to be cheaper than anywhere else airside.

Heat can alter insulin needs as can lots of exercise if swimming a lot or doing lots of walking so keeping a closer eye on glucose than usual is a good idea.

Have a great time. Are you seeing the pyramids etc or just going to a resort?

Our nurse was great and had lots of tips and a letter for security etc so do talk to the team. Have snacks for on the plane and take hypo treatments in all the bags so there’s always some to hand. You can’t take liquids through security but I go to Boots and get drinks to take on the plane once airside. They tend to be cheaper than anywhere else airside.

Heat can alter insulin needs as can lots of exercise if swimming a lot or doing lots of walking so keeping a closer eye on glucose than usual is a good idea.

We go every year to Hugarda it’s a bit far to the pyramids but have seen then before just a bit worried to take her being diabetic and only 5 thanks for your advice x

At least you know what to expect once you’re there. And I would take a frio or two as it’ll be hot. Try not to worry if she runs a bit high should you’re there she can still have a good hba1c even with a week or two of running high.

I was diagnosed as an adult so do not have experience of travelling as or with a child.
However, it can become very easy to start to blame diabetes and become very resentful of it. Therefore, I believe it is very important to make minor adaptions to ensure children (and adults) with diabetes do not miss out.
There will always be challenges along the way but that is what makes us resilient and strong.

This reminds me of this thread which I think is a great way for young children to consider their diabetes: https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/today-i-was-called-out-as-superhero.113508/

My first trip abroad was in the late sixties with my mother and sister by ferry and train. It went well despite onlu having urine tests for monitoring. Mum had also managed to get some disposable needles from Boots. Since then I have been to Germany. Belgium, Switzerland, France and Australia by ferry, train, car and air. The only time I have had an issue was at Heathrow where security seem to decide disposable syringes equals drug addict despite having my meds and GP letter. A couple of absolute clowns to put it politely.

The only time I have had an issue was at Heathrow where security seem to decide disposable syringes equals drug addict despite having my meds and GP letter. A couple of absolute clowns to put it politely.
But this is nothing to worry about for a newly diagnosed child who will be using insulin pens.

That said, I carry disposable syringes as a backup to my insulin pump and over 8 years of pumping with flight around the world, they have never been questioned. Airport security are only interested in sharps longer than 5cm.

We go every year to Hugarda it’s a bit far to the pyramids but have seen then before just a bit worried to take her being diabetic and only 5 thanks for your advice
My first trip abroad was in the late sixties with my mother and sister by ferry and train. It went well despite onlu having urine tests for monitoring. Mum had also managed to get some disposable needles from Boots. Since then I have been to Germany. Belgium, Switzerland, France and Australia by ferry, train, car and air. The only time I have had an issue was at Heathrow where security seem to decide disposable syringes equals drug addict despite having my meds and GP letter. A couple of absolute clowns to put it politely.
thanks x

Back