GoBe calorie counter wearable put to the test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A controversial calorie-counting wristband, which had been denounced by some medical experts, has been put to the test by the BBC.

The creators of the GoBe wristband say it can automatically, non-invasively count the calories eaten by the wearer.

After crowdfunding $1.1m (£707,000) to build the product, the company experienced an intense backlash - with critics saying it was a "scam".

The BBC challenged its makers to prove it was capable of doing what they said.

After the GoBe team sought cash for the project, medical experts warned that they thought the kit was either vapourwear that would never exist, or would fail to live up to its inventors' claims.

And when the bracelet's Indiegogo page raised more than a million dollars - more than 10 times its target - members of the medical profession lined up to explain that even if the tech did monitor blood's glucose concentration, as suggested, that still wouldn't deliver a reliable guide to calorie intake.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30681002

It talks about an Electrical current given off with carbs etc. I must get a "belt" (240v) every couple of weeks at work & that's not batteries. I think it would not work for me but sounds good 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back