Glucotabs/Dextro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vicsetter

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I know you T1s use Glucotabs/Dextro to treat hypos, those of us that manage to avoid hypos - does anyone know what the best before date means. Mine keep going out of date and I can't see what will be wrong with them.

Also a bit worried with the Glucotabs. On the end of the tube is says ' BestBuy 12/2010'. Are this a translation error?

Personally, I will still eat food that is out of date apart from dairy and meat. There's nothing wrong with it whatsoever.

I don't see a problem 🙂

I kept a handfull of dextro in my running belt for months (just loose) and the day I needed them they were extremely hard but otherwise did the trick.

Personally I wouldn't even had thought about the eat by/sell by date on something like that - can't think there's anything in them that would go off??

As they say, I'm not an expert, but I wouldn't worry about it - maybe worst case I'd replace them every now and again just so they're easier to eat

Totally agree with Laura, except would add biscuits and oatcakes which can taste a bit ropey when well past use by date.
Once bought cans of cider (pre D days!) 3 months out of date - no problem!

Totally agree with Laura, except would add biscuits and oatcakes which can taste a bit ropey when well past use by date.
Once bought cans of cider (pre D days!) 3 months out of date - no problem!

I once bought 10 cans of cider - drank them all!

Not sure of the date...

Not surprised you can't remember the date - probably not the year!! lol

Best Before is only a guideline. They will still be fine for a few months after that. They might just not taste as good. It's the same with all foods. It's only the USE BY that means do Not use after this date. But even with those dates I eat things 2 days after Use By.

I have seen a TV programme where the presenter ate food, including meat, that was 1 week out of Use By Date and he didn't suffer at all.

Im sure the best before date is just to cover the companies back?

It just means they may not be as good as they were when they were fresh.

Unless you hypo a lot, its likely your glucose tabs will go out of date before you use them all, but as long as they look okay i dont see why we shouldnt use them..

..Same with anything, if breads not mouldy or stale i'll eat it..

If anyone has Glucotabs can they please have a look, because mine says :

' BestBuy 12/2010'. Is this translated badly from Chinese or something?

i remember seeing a thing on the t.v about this , they were saying that dry goods best before is the date they 'taste best' and they are fine to eat after that date and there are internet companies that sell food after its best before but use six months past it as the cut off date for selling stuff it was on the one show not that long ago , if u look at the site or bbc i player u might still be able to watch it possibly

hope this helps 🙂

I don't need general help as the difference between best before and use by is covered in the basic food hygiene course. I just wondered what happened specifically to glucose tablets, do they go mouldy, hard, disintegrate. The answer appears to be go hard.
I was also curious about the BESTBUY date rather than the BESTBY date, but everyone is either missing it or doesn't find it strange.

Just checked my pot of glucotabs and it says best before end sept 09, so no bestbuy on mine. I'm still using these no problem with them taste ok (as good as these things taste), and worked fine when i had a hypo the other day.

Sorry you're not getting the right answer Vic, anyway just been to the Glucotabs.com website and they say the shelf life from manufacture is 24months for the tubs of 10 (36 for the pots of 50), but that's no use if you don't know how long ago that was. I would be concerned that the main ingredient could disintegrate or become less active over a long period of time.

I hope you get to the bottom of this I'm sure it would help a lot of us out there.

Rossi 🙂

PS Just emailed them asking how long they last....I must be in a good proactive mood!!

Last edited:
They've come back initally not saying much...

Thank you for contacting BBI Healthcare in relation to Glucotabs, I have looked into your query and I can provide you with this information initially, Glucotabs does not contain any active ingredient, though I am not aware of any consequence if you use the product after the shelf life, at this point, do not use the product if the shelf life has expired, the brand manager for this product is currently out of the office until Thursday 26th May, I will refer this to her when she returns to the office.

So apparently I'll get another email thursday this week, it will be interesting!

Rossi 🙂

Thanks Rossi, at least the branch manager hasn't expired.😉

Must be the low BG. I was also getting fed up with the bickering (hope that didn't refer to me and bev) so thought we all needed brightning.😎

yeap thats sounds true enough, so on that note I'm gonna go and dye my hair bright green, like I did in 1997 or was it 1998? Or the face paint job I got for millenium that was blue & yellow, cheers

Rossi 🙂

If anyone has Glucotabs can they please have a look, because mine says :

' BestBuy 12/2010'. Is this translated badly from Chinese or something?

Mine says EXP 19/2011, which isnt a month ??maybe it was 12 for Decemeber?

The Glucotabs are better in the little tubes they stay fresh unlike the detrox, which i have never liked, dont think they taste nice. And are very powdery
Gluco tabs do come in nicer flavours too but cost more, so its all swings and roundabouts.

Chances are you will use them before they go out of date, depending how many you have, i buy a tube every twoish months.

xx

I wouldn't know what they taste like, as a T2 I seldom get hypos, mainly 3am and I keep Haribo packets on my bedside. My GP said to carry a lucozade bottle, but they go out of date so quickly I was just throwing them away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back