Glucose monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tombar

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello, I've been using a GlucoRX Nexus for a long time and recently bought an Accu-Chek, but the second gives values about 0.7 units higher (about 10% difference). There doesn't seem any way of checking the accuracy of either. You can get "control solutions", but these only give you a value with no information what the value should be. Anyone with experience of checking monitors? (I'm a biochemist, so understand concentrations and calibrating equipment)

A 10% difference is fine, well within acceptable tolerances. Even if you were testing the exact same drop of blood with each monitor it only has to be within 15% of your actual blood glucose, and even then it’s only required 95% of the time so can occasionally be further out from your actual blood glucose level

Hmm... Can't say I'm impressed - I'm used to a variation of 1% or less!
Cost matters a lot. And these are tests on small drops of quite peripheral blood. I doubt very much anything close to 1% would be practical (even if it was clinically useful, which seems doubtful).

You may be able to get hold of a bottle of test solution if you contact the manufacturers.

I use a Contour Next which claims to be within 8% of lab results, I think. However, the strips are expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back