Glucose monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tazly72

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi there
Newly diagnosed can someone please recommend a make/brand of reliable glucose monitor and where you bought it from as I’m struck with which one to purchase as a mind field with so much choice,would like the easiest I see boots sell one that can be used with your iPhone to keep records but then I read more negative feed back
Any advice would be much appreciated for a newbie

It depends on the level of sophistication you want but a couple of basic but reliable monitors which are inexpensive and have the cheapest strips are the GlucoNavil or Spirit TEE2 available on line Amazon or similar. You do not need to pay VAT.
It is worth buying extra strips and lancets as you only get a few in the kit.

If you use the gluco navii if you buy it from Home Health you can get a discount for strips
Carol

Hope you get on well with your BG meter @Tazly72

Lots of members here use the SD Gluco Navii or Spirit Tee2 that @Leadinglights mentions - the strips are just £8 for 50, whereas other brands can be £20-30 a pot!

Let us know how it goes.

Am I missing something here, I was supplied a glucose monitor by my GP surgery and get all my strips on prescription. Is this not the norm, or do some people have to self fund theirs ??
Martin

Am I missing something here, I was supplied a glucose monitor by my GP surgery and get all my strips on prescription. Is this not the norm, or do some people have to self fund theirs ??
Martin
It is people who are Type 2, either dietary controlled with or without metformin who would be extremely lucky to be prescribed a monitor. Even people on gliclazide which has the potential to cause hypos don't necessarily get a monitor without making a fuss.
Anybody on insulin should be getting a monitor prescribed, but sometimes don't get prescribed enough testing strips.

Oh I see , thank you for clearing that up. I wasn't getting enough test strips, but had a word with my GP, and now get the amount I need .

Martin
Sadly I’m type 2 so not entitled to free monitors but was advised to check levels in the morning I’m new to all this so a mind field just now

Sadly I’m type 2 so not entitled to free monitors but was advised to check levels in the morning I’m new to all this so a mind field just now
People use their monitors when newly diagnosed to find what foods and meals they can tolerate by testing before they eat and after 2 hours aiming for a increase of no more than 2-3mmol/l or no more than 8mmol/l that allows them to adjust the meal content by leaving out some of the high carb foods or reducing the portion size. But also by testing in the morning, it can monitor progress week to week, although many people find those morning readings remain stubbornly high being the last to come down. Also people might test if they feel unwell as that might be due to high or low blood glucose.
The important thing is to be testing for a purpose rather than randomly as that really tells you nothing as a non diabetic will have levels which go up and down during the day in response to food, exercise etc.

People use their monitors when newly diagnosed to find what foods and meals they can tolerate by testing before they eat and after 2 hours aiming for a increase of no more than 2-3mmol/l or no more than 8mmol/l that allows them to adjust the meal content by leaving out some of the high carb foods or reducing the portion size. But also by testing in the morning, it can monitor progress week to week, although many people find those morning readings remain stubbornly high being the last to come down. Also people might test if they feel unwell as that might be due to high or low blood glucose.
The important thing is to be testing for a purpose rather than randomly as that really tells you nothing as a non diabetic will have levels which go up and down during the day in response to food, exercise etc.
Oh had no idea my nurse said to just test in the morning before breakfast and that’s it so what other times are best before every meal or after food as you say 2hrs later? I don’t have a clue what the levels should even be so hope when I buy a monitor that it comes with leaflets,going to have a look in boots tomorrow

Oh had no idea my nurse said to just test in the morning before breakfast and that’s it so what other times are best before every meal or after food as you say 2hrs later? I don’t have a clue what the levels should even be so hope when I buy a monitor that it comes with leaflets,going to have a look in boots tomorrow
You will probably pay substantially more for a monitor and strips from somewhere like Boots, it is the strips that are the expensive item and can be as much as £20 for 50 rather than the ones on line at about £8 for 50, strips are specific to the monitor.
People often choose 1 meal a day to start testing, so just before you eat and after 2 hours and once you find what foods you are OK with then move on to another meal You will eventually build up a repertoire of meals you are fine with and would then only test if something new. As I said you want to be aiming for a increase of no more than 2-3mmol/l or no more than 8mmol/l after 2 hours. If it is then you know the meal was too carb heavy. If your levels are quite high at the moment then the 8mmol/l might be a way off but certainly you should be looking to have meals that won't give you a bigger increase than 3mmol/l.
Amazon are usually good at quick delivery. and they do have the inexpensive reliable monitors.

You will probably pay substantially more for a monitor and strips from somewhere like Boots, it is the strips that are the expensive item and can be as much as £20 for 50 rather than the ones on line at about £8 for 50, strips are specific to the monitor.
People often choose 1 meal a day to start testing, so just before you eat and after 2 hours and once you find what foods you are OK with then move on to another meal You will eventually build up a repertoire of meals you are fine with and would then only test if something new. As I said you want to be aiming for a increase of no more than 2-3mmol/l or no more than 8mmol/l after 2 hours. If it is then you know the meal was too carb heavy. If your levels are quite high at the moment then the 8mmol/l might be a way off but certainly you should be looking to have meals that won't give you a bigger increase than 3mmol/l.
Amazon are usually good at quick delivery. and they do have the inexpensive reliable monitors.
Thank you so much for your advice very much appreciated

Thank you so much for your advice very much appreciated
I have just looked at Boots website and strips for their monitors are £20 plus for 50 and the monitors are more expensive as well. So if you use Amazon that is the best bet or from Home health which I believe is the supplier.
Just to remind you, that you will need lancets as well but people do reuse their lancets, also you do not need to pay VAT so make sure you tick the relevant box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back