Glucose monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandma

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
got my letter about getting the Freestyle Navigator Continuous Glucose Monitor fitted anybody had this done🙂

No, but wishing you luck with it. 🙂

Hello there,

I've had a CGM on a few times before. The first experience provided useful information but the sensor was bloody agony to wear. I'll pop some photos of the second time I had it on. The second time was also highly useful as I'd gone to the gym for an hour of pain with it on.
Overall they do provide very useful information. The only downside I can think of is if the sensor isn't put in just so they can be rather painful to wear as I am all too ready to testify to.

Tom

Hi grandma, yes that's the one I trialled back in...August? I found it slightly bulky to wear but not terribly intrusive.

Wish I could tell you how useful the results were - unfortunately I have a useLESS team who didn't go over the results with me.

However I found it incredibly reassuring knowing roughly what my levels were doing. I found it fascinating to begin with - straight after I had it put on I went on a train for an hour - I think I spent the whole journey staring at it!

Thank you TomH and shiv I dont go to get it untill 3rd Dec. But dident get told anything about it just that it took blood readings every 10 mins and it was very expensive ?800 so there was only 1. All the nurse said was that it would give her readings that she could download and that was that. Thank you gess Ill just have to get use to it then.

Thank you TomH and shiv I dont go to get it untill 3rd Dec. But dident get told anything about it just that it took blood readings every 10 mins and it was very expensive ?800 so there was only 1. All the nurse said was that it would give her readings that she could download and that was that. Thank you gess Ill just have to get use to it then.

It should come with a handheld device that shows you what your BG level currently is and what direction it is going in 🙂 it shows you that with an arrow. You can go into the menu and choose to look at your BGs over the past 24 hours, 48 hours, etc. You can also log food/insulin/BG levels on it. It's a nice little bit of kit - I wrote about it on my blog 🙂

It's very novelty and exciting having one on; let us know how it goes!

I think it would be a good idea for you to write down all the food you eat whilst wearing this CGM as it will be a great way to find out what particular foods are doing to you inbetween testing. Alex uses a CGM with his pump - not all the time as he doesnt really like wearing the sensors as they itch him - but when he does have one on we find it a brilliant way of avoiding either high or low and also tracking tricky foods like pizza. Let us know how you get on with it.🙂Bev

I think it would be a good idea for you to write down all the food you eat whilst wearing this CGM as it will be a great way to find out what particular foods are doing to you inbetween testing. Alex uses a CGM with his pump - not all the time as he doesnt really like wearing the sensors as they itch him - but when he does have one on we find it a brilliant way of avoiding either high or low and also tracking tricky foods like pizza. Let us know how you get on with it.🙂Bev

Thank you Bev I will write everything down as I have been doing that since16.10.10 and taking my BGs before and 2 horus after meals so I will keep doing it thank you everbody it has been a help with what everybody has said.

Good luck with this Grandma , i know you have been worrying about your bs so hopefully this will provide the answers they need 🙂

Good luck with this Grandma , i know you have been worrying about your bs so hopefully this will provide the answers they need 🙂

Thank you I think I might have got my BI about right now I have got it down from 20 to 11 and have not had hypos for 2 mornings ( so far) still having the odd 1 or 2 through the day but think that might be the ratio but dident want to alter that untill I got BI right so might have a better idear when I get the tests done. We just keep going at it dont we,, but thats life well with us anyway.

I had a CGM fitted for 7 days about 2 months ago, the results were downloaded to a pc by the DSN and the results were very interesting! It showed that my levels were high in the morning due to Hypos (that I slept through) during the night! As a consequence I have reduced my Lantus and my control is better, the results graph also highlighted how certain foods affected BG readings, Chinese and Indian especially!

I found it was not painful to wear unless I snagged the cable and after a few days got very used to it, it was an older style and not waterproof which was awkward, however the more modern styles are waterproof.

I had a CGM fitted for 7 days about 2 months ago, the results were downloaded to a pc by the DSN and the results were very interesting! It showed that my levels were high in the morning due to Hypos (that I slept through) during the night! As a consequence I have reduced my Lantus and my control is better, the results graph also highlighted how certain foods affected BG readings, Chinese and Indian especially!

I found it was not painful to wear unless I snagged the cable and after a few days got very used to it, it was an older style and not waterproof which was awkward, however the more modern styles are waterproof.

Must be one of the new ones that I am going to get then because she told me that I could have a bath or shower. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back