Glucose monitor

shelly72

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi all
As a prediabetic i am thinking of buying a Glucose moniter, i have seen a few on Amazon but am stuck on which to get.
What would everyone suggest is the best option for me ?

Hi all
As a prediabetic i am thinking of buying a Glucose moniter, i have seen a few on Amazon but am stuck on which to get.
Hi, and welcome. One thing to bear in mind is that the meter is a one-off cost whilst the test strips are a running cost, so it's the cost of the test strips that generally governs people's choice.

The meters most members suggest are the SD Gluco Navii, the Spirit Tee2, or the Contour Blue

I use a Gluco Rx Q meter but that was given to me by my surgery when I was diagnosed, although I self-fund these days. My last batch of test strips, from Amazon, cost £9.56 for a box of 50. I collect from an Amazon locker so there's no shipping to add.

Last edited:
Hi, and welcome. One thing to bear in mind is that the meter is a one-off cost whilst the test strips are a running cost, so it's the cost of the test strips that generally governs people's choice.

The meters most members suggest are the SD Gluco Navii, the Spirit Tee2, or the Contour Blue

I use a Gluco Rx Q meter but that was given to me by my surgery when I was diagnosed, although I self-fund the test strips these days and my last batch, from Amazon, cost £9.56 for a box of 50. I collect from an Amazom locker so there's no shipping to add.
Hi Martin
Thank you i shall have a look at all 3 🙂

Martin is right that the cost of the test strips is the biggest factor to consider for most purposes. No meter is entirely accurate, and no meter is accurate all the time. Those three listed meet the basic standard.

Of the meters with the more expensive test strips, the Contour Next might the most objectively accurate, based on available information. This study - link - compares the general accuracy of many meters at various blood glucose concentrations, and this study - link - provides information on the 'bias' of many meters. The bias is how far off the mark of perfect, objective accuracy a meter would be if you did a lot of tests and averaged the results. The Contour Next came out on top in both studies, though they were done a few years ago, so there might be something better out there now.

The thing is, for most purposes, you don't need something more accurate than the cheapest meter. If you want to see if your fasting levels (measured before breakfast) are rising over time, or the change between a test done just before eating and another two hours later, the cheap meters are perfectly fine and will save you a lot of money if you're testing frequently. I use the Next specifically when I want to check the accuracy of a CGM sensor (device attached to you arm, gives you a graph of blood glucose levels on your phone). Given how expensive those sensors are, and how useful it is to know how accurate (or otherwise) a CGM graph might be, I feel it worth spending on the more expensive test strips for the Contour Next for that specific purpose.

Hi all
I'm in a similar position to you. Did you find the right monitor? And do you know how *strips* work? Hate to admit it but I'm afraid of needles so if Glucose monitors is anything to do with needles then it's not for me. I've lost around 24 lbs but weight loss alone doesn't reverse pre-T2D. I don't think I get enough info from the yearly nurse interview/check-up and I don't want to wait until I'm in difficulties and have to take medication for the problem.
I'll be grateful for your views - or anyone else's... : o ]

Glucose monitors is anything to do with needles then it's not for me.
They need a small drop of blood from your fingertip (the sides are recommended). So not really "needle" so much as tiny sharp bit of metal that just breaks the skin.

I used to have just lancets (shaped bits of metal with a sharp end) which I hated, but it's normal to use a lancet device where you don't really see the lancet and you can adjust the depth to use the minimum needed.

I'm in a similar position to you. Did you find the right monitor? And do you know how *strips* work? Hate to admit it but I'm afraid of needles so if Glucose monitors is anything to do with needles then it's not for me. I've lost around 24 lbs but weight loss alone doesn't reverse pre-T2D. I don't think I get enough info from the yearly nurse interview/check-up and I don't want to wait until I'm in difficulties and have to take medication for the problem.
I'll be grateful for your views - or anyone else's... : o ]
There are plenty of videos on how to use the monitor and finger pricking technique.
Doing a finger prick is no big deal and if it enables you to get your condition well managed then it is all to the good and could prevent far more unpleasant things.*

They need a small drop of blood from your fingertip (the sides are recommended). So not really "needle" so much as tiny sharp bit of metal that just breaks the skin.

I used to have just lancets (shaped bits of metal with a sharp end) which I hated, but it's normal to use a lancet device where you don't really see the lancet and you can adjust the depth to use the minimum needed.
Thank you for info about strips (cringe). Is there any other way of keeping track without blood-letting? I'm such a coward! But if there is no other way then I'll just have to do it. Oh, woe is me ... : o /

There are plenty of videos on how to use the monitor and finger pricking technique.
Doing a finger prick is no big deal and if it enables you to get your condition well managed then it is all to the good and could prevent far more unpleasant things.*
I know you are right - so reluctantly I'll have a look on You Tube and see what is least yucky. Many thanks to you and everyone else who has replied to my questions.

I know you are right - so reluctantly I'll have a look on You Tube and see what is least yucky. Many thanks to you and everyone else who has replied to my questions.
Everything you need to know is right here, including a video showing how to test:-

Thank you for info about strips (cringe). Is there any other way of keeping track without blood-letting? I'm such a coward! But if there is no other way then I'll just have to do it. Oh, woe is me ... : o /
There's no cheap way to track blood glucose levels without making a tiny spot of blood I'm afraid. The lancet device feels like a very quick pinch. In the beginning I had to steel myself to do it, now I do it without a second thought and have done it very many times in a day for the purpose of experimenting. The drop of blood needed is very small - depending on the meter used and the design of the test strips it takes - perhaps a little bigger than the size of the head of a pin. It doesn't keep bleeding - you massage the finger from base to tip kind of like a 'milking a cow' motion, to push blood toward the finger tip and squeeze out a tiny droplet. It's not very 'messy'.

CGM devices are almost always bloodless (occasionally they can bleed a little) - devices like the Freestyle Libre or the Dexcom equivalent - a sensor that is attached to your arm which allows you to view a graph of your blood glucose levels on your phone. They're very expensive though compared to finger-prick meters, and there is a needle of sorts involved when the sensor is applied. Application is basically painless, and rarely is there any blood to be seen - the price is the big issue with them.

Is there any other way of keeping track without blood-letting?
It's only a drop of blood, and obviously they've been working for decades to make this as painless as possible.

Technically CGM sensors are bloodless, so while they insert a little tube under the skin (about 4mm) the intent is to sample interstitial fluid rather than blood. Still takes a needle, though. The advantage is that the readings can then happen using that tube (so you just need to break the skin every 10 to 14 days or so), but the cost is much higher and you're reading interstitial fluid rather than blood and that can cause problems (there's a delay and sometimes the CGM sensor doesn't embed correctly and the tube doesn't read the fluid right).

Overall CGM is pretty clearly worth the money for people with Type 1 and for some other types using insulin, but it's not at all clear it's worthwhile more broadly.

Everything you need to know is right here, including a video showing how to test:-

Thank you Martin. I've bookmarked the link and will get back to it when I have time without interruptions. I'll also let the forum know how I get on. (Hope I'm not being intrusive when I say your face is familiar, but I don't know why).

Hope I'm not being intrusive when I say your face is familiar, but I don't know why.
I've lived in Berkshire for the last 27 years, and before that for 25 years in Bedford. Do you have any connections to either?

I've lived in Berkshire for the last 27 years, and before that for 25 years in Bedford. Do you have any connections to either?
Nope. I started off in Scotland for 20 yrs then all over the place mainly working in London, then in W. Sussex and now for the last 10 yrs in beautiful North Norfolk. Retirement is great! Such utter freedom only marred by the thought of getting full blown diabetes.

Back