Glucose monitor with a high range

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hooky93

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi,
Does anybody have a recommendation for a glucose meter that has a higher range, I have a libre 2 and it's great however the other night I woke early hours of the morning to find my glucose was showing as "hi" I believe this is a reading over 28 mmol
Was just wondering if anybody could recommend a finger prick meter that would give me the actual reading for if it ever goes that high again?
Was kinda scary to have the reading go that high and not actually know the level.

Was just wondering if anybody could recommend a finger prick meter that would give me the actual reading for if it ever goes that high again?
I don't know of one. And at such levels a meter probably wouldn't be accurate anyway (they're designed to be accurate around the normal levels, so 4-7 or thereabouts).

Why would anything more than "way too high" be useful?

Better (of course) to try not to get there. I'm guessing you didn't get an alarm for some reason?

Regardless what the number is, if it is in the 20s, you need to be concerned.
With levels so high the risk is DKA. Do you have a ketone meter?

Hmm that makes sense, I was hoping just for a reading to know what I was dealing with, I panicked and injected 10 units but it took a long time to get a reading. I guess the reading would be more just reassuring to see the actual level.
I don't have a ketones meter no, do you have a suggestion for one?

I'm not sure what happened with the alarm, it seems a little hit and miss since the latest update on the libre.

Do you still have a BG meter and test strips on prescription because if not, you absolutely should have, as there are times when you need to double check Libre readings with a finger prick reading. You should also have a means of testing for ketones either blood ketones with special test strips or at the very least, Ketostix to dip in your urine. Most meters go up to 33 I think before they give that friendly, but not so welcome greeting of "HI" but definitely best not to let things get anywhere near that level.
Do you know why it happened?
Was it a massive spike after food or had it just been getting progressively higher over a period of hours/days even? Do you need any help with deciphering your Libre graph and looking for ways to improve it? If you would like to post a photo of your graph there may be things we can suggest possibly need adjusting ..... or perhaps you are coming down with an illness and that has pushed your levels up. Hopefully not the latter of course but always worth bearing in mind!

Hi,
Does anybody have a recommendation for a glucose meter that has a higher range, I have a libre 2 and it's great however the other night I woke early hours of the morning to find my glucose was showing as "hi" I believe this is a reading over 28 mmol
Was kinda scary to have the reading go that high and not actually know the level.
I’d advise working on why you’re going that high and improving your bgs rather than looking for a meter that reads higher.

Just to clarify, the "hi" reading was my first ever one in 19 years as a diabetic haha. I think I may have seriously misjudged my night time dosage being half asleep It was a big anomaly.
I was just curious to if anybody had a recommendation for a meter that goes higher just for peace of mind to get a reading if it ever goes this high again, makes a lot of sense as to the accuracy being lower with the higher it goes though.

Exercising can actually raise your blood sugar in some circumstances, hence the warnings that exercising when high might not be a good idea. I think the theory is that aerobic exercise usually drops your blood sugar, anaerobic will raise it, because of the effect of adrenalin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back