Glucose Meter Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corrine

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi

I have my 6 monthly check tomorrow and basically I want to get a meter - almost a year after diagnosis! I've been managing well so far (I think) using diet and exercise but as I am only using ketostix to test I have no idea what effect food has on my levels and I really think it's time to find out if I want to continue managing my diabetes in this way. (Lately I've been trying to low carb just to be on the safe side but obviously I don't know if that makes a difference). My question is - if I can't get one from my Care Team (a distinct possibility seeing as I still don't even know who they are) do I have to purchase one or will Lifescan (for example) let me have a free meter as I will have to pay for the strips? I've been looking at the One Touch Ultra Easy. My other question is, if I ask the practice nurse tomorrow I'm assuming she'll just give me one they have lying around which may not necessarily be the one I want? So I'm thinking of just purchasing one although I have heard that in many cases they are free?

Grateful for any advice/experiences! Thank you....

There is no harm in asking. If it is not the one you want take it anyway and see how you get on with it. One of the reasons they have spare meters laying round the doctors surgery is manufacturers hand them over in the hopes of getting more trade, another is when people get meters they don't want and take them in still in e packaging.

My meter was given to me by the hospital and is a one touch ultra easy, which I like very much. Even if you don't get free prescriptions, because you are diet controled, ask for the test strips on prescription. The cost of the prescription is still cheaper than the price of the lancets and strips buying them yourself.

Hi Corrine, there are plenty of companies around offering free meters - they don't care who's paying for the strips as long as it's theirs you're using!

As you say, you could ask the nurse too - they generally have a selection to suit different tastes and needs (some are more compact, different colours etc.), so definitely worth asking. If you go online or ring a company up, besure to tell them that you test two times a day at least, that makes it more persuasive!🙂

Hope you get one you like!:D

Hello,

I'm type 1, but i got my first meter from the hospital, bought my 2nd one, got my third from the clinic, bought my fourth one (ultra smart) and got my latest one from my diabetic clinic.

As Northerner says, my clinic also have range of meters you can choose from and definitely worth trying your luck with the companies direct if you don't get one.

NiVZ

Thanks for your replies! I'll see how I get on with the nurse tomorrow and if they are not forthcoming I think I may call Lifescan and say I'm thinking of trying one of theirs. Hopefully as there is a Diabetic Clinic at my GP surgery they may have a selection I can choose from.

Thanks for your replies! I'll see how I get on with the nurse tomorrow and if they are not forthcoming I think I may call Lifescan and say I'm thinking of trying one of theirs. Hopefully as there is a Diabetic Clinic at my GP surgery they may have a selection I can choose from.

Good idea. (See the other thread if you haven't already- one touch ultra I think it's called)

I'm surprised and shocked that doctors are still prescribing urine test strips for anything other than short term use.

You can buy meters cheaply from local pharmacies. The price of the meters are heavily subsidised by the manufacturers as they make most of their money on the strips. They are all pretty much the same and work in similar ways. Make sure if you do buy one that you don't pay the VAT.

By the way, are you sure it's Ketostix and not Diabur-Test 5000? that you are using? Ketostix measure ketones, not glucose. Diabur is what is most commonly prescribed.

I'm surprised and shocked that doctors are still prescribing urine test strips for anything other than short term use.

You can buy meters cheaply from local pharmacies. The price of the meters are heavily subsidised by the manufacturers as they make most of their money on the strips. They are all pretty much the same and work in similar ways. Make sure if you do buy one that you don't pay the VAT.

By the way, are you sure it's Ketostix and not Diabur-Test 5000? that you are using? Ketostix measure ketones, not glucose. Diabur is what is most commonly prescribed.

Hi Alan

The ones I bought (as I don't get free prescriptions) measure BG and ketones. However, as my HbA1c was less than 7 in January (and apparently they won't pick up anything under 10) I have never had a positive reading. To be honest I've given up using them as they don't really tell me anything hence wanting a BG meter. My thinking in all of this is that if I am expected to self manage (and that's what I want to do for as long as I can) then I really have to have some idea of the effects of food on my levels and I hoping that the nurse/care team (if I ever get to see them) feel the same way!

Thanks for your advice.

Even if you pay for prescriptions, some things are still cheaper with a prescription, so it's always worth asking.

According to the BNF (British National Formulary) all strips cost around ?14.50 for 50, so it's cheaper with a prescription.

If you need to take any sort of tablets, your prescriptions will be free.
If you need to regular prescriptions (such as test strips) but have to pay for them, look into a pre-paid certificate.

Good luck with the appointment. I think if you can explain why you want one and what you will be doing with the results you will stand a better chance of getting one. It's people testing for no reason and not doing anything with the results which they want to avoid.

Thanks Nikki - I've had the bloods and go back on 17 September for results (holiday season). To be honest if they stay the same as last time I'll be happy (HbA1C was 6.2).

I asked about a meter (bearing in mind this was my practice nurse not the DSN) and she gave me a Freestyle Lite with no hesitation, said she would give me strips and lancets on prescription and also basically said play around with it and when you come back we'll have a look and if you dont like that one we'll find another.

So now I just have to pluck up the courage to use it!

Thanks Nikki - I've had the bloods and go back on 17 September for results (holiday season). To be honest if they stay the same as last time I'll be happy (HbA1C was 6.2).

I asked about a meter (bearing in mind this was my practice nurse not the DSN) and she gave me a Freestyle Lite with no hesitation, said she would give me strips and lancets on prescription and also basically said play around with it and when you come back we'll have a look and if you dont like that one we'll find another.

its a great little meter corrine i got that one when diagnosed bk in feb and its the main one i use , no problems

Hi Steff

Thanks for that - I did have my eye on a one touch but I will have a play with this one and see how I get on. Maybe after the weekend though - I plan to be a little bad this weekend now my 6 monthly bloods are out of the way!

Hi Steff

Thanks for that - I did have my eye on a one touch but I will have a play with this one and see how I get on. Maybe after the weekend though - I plan to be a little bad this weekend now my 6 monthly bloods are out of the way!

hehehe you go girl , break the rules we cant be angels 24/7 x

Glad your nurse seems more screwed on than your GP and gave you a meter.
After all these years, I still sometimes hesitate to press the button on the finger pricker, especially if I have sore fingers anyway.
Good luck with the results and the testing anyway. Remember that if you have any questions, we're all here to help.

Glad your nurse seems more screwed on than your GP and gave you a meter.
After all these years, I still sometimes hesitate to press the button on the finger pricker, especially if I have sore fingers anyway.
Good luck with the results and the testing anyway. Remember that if you have any questions, we're all here to help.

Yes I think that will be my problem as I am quite needle phobic anyway! I'll let you all know how I get on and thanks for the advice.

Sore fingers here we come :D

Hi Corrine , wow thats good news that you got a meter and strips without a fuss !! you obviously have a good nurse . dont worry too much about finger pricking , you will get used to it 😱😱

Thanks IA - must admit I was a bit surprised - but I'm not complaining!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back