Glucose measrement

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianpurdie

After a hospital blood test I was told that my glucose level was 45 mmol/mol so, according to that figure, I was a moderate risk. However, I have been using a TEE2 instrument to measure my glucose level for about a year. This instrument is calibrated in mmol/L, so I have to convert. My calculation gave a reading of 36.1, which is 20% below the hospital result.
My readings are normally taken early morning - prior to any food/drink - whereas the hospital reading was taken 3 days later at 1.30 p.m.
Could this discrepancy cause such a difference in the readings?

After a hospital blood test I was told that my glucose level was 45 mmol/mol so, according to that figure, I was a moderate risk. However, I have been using a TEE2 instrument to measure my glucose level for about a year. This instrument is calibrated in mmol/L, so I have to convert. My calculation gave a reading of 36.1, which is 20% below the hospital result.
My readings are normally taken early morning - prior to any food/drink - whereas the hospital reading was taken 3 days later at 1.30 p.m.
You cannot convert between the two as they are measuring something different. The HbA1C is an average over the previous 3 months or so which is the life of your red blood cells as it is a measure of the glucose which is stuck to them (simple terms). Whereas your TEE2 monitor measure the glucose in your blood at a moment in time and is in mmol/l.
The relationship between the two is more that the lower and more consistent your finger prick readings are over that 3 month period then your HbA1C will be lower.
It is therefore not really a discrepancy.
The 45mmol/mol puts you in the at risk or prediabetes category (42-47mmol/mol) so basically a wake up call to make some modest dietary changes.
Your finger prick readings will be influenced by a number of factors, when taken, what you have eaten, exercise, how hydrated you are, if you are stressed, if you are unwell, the list goes on.

As leading lights says, there is no discrepancy. They’re measuring different things and can’t just be converted and compared.

Welcome to the forum @ianpurdie

It is slightly confusing as the two measurement units seem so similar, but HbA1c in mmol/mol is a measure of how much glucose has stuck to your red blood cells over the preceding 3-4 months.

The more glucose you have in your blood stream at any one moment, the more potential there is for the haemoglobin (Hb) to have become affected by the glucose.

So while fingerstick and HbA1c are related, they are measuring very different things.

Your Tee2 gives you a moment in time, a snapshot. While yoir HbA1c indicates glucose concentrations 24 hours a day / 7 days a week over the previous 120ish days (the lifespan of a red blood cell). 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back