Glucose in Urine, What does it mean???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smit

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi,
As most of you know i've been unwell for past few weeks. Ended up back at A & E on Sunday as pain in side still very sore. They said that urine had ++++ glucose in it. Couldn't really explain why as blood sugar was ok. What does this mean, in my 25 years of diabetes no one has ever mentioned it. It's only ketones i check for. Should i be worried? Is it a problem with my kidneys?

I know that there is a threshold for glucose, above which the kidneys will all ow glucose to spill over into the urine. This is normally an indication of hyperglycaemia, but in some people the threshold is lower and glucose can spill out when blood sugar is normal. Beyond that, I'm afraid I know nothing. Did they give you any treatment for it?

Thanks Northerner,
No they didn't give me any treatment or advice. Thay seemed quite stummed by the whole thing. Was back in hospital twice last week, first with ketones, so that indicated to why there was so much glucose in urine, but second time blood sugar was fine but still very high glucose. I've got diabetic clinic tmw, taking my mum for moral support, will be asking why this is happening. Just very concerned as still have pain in my right hand side and all this glucose. Trying really hard to keep bllod sugars down. I'll keep you posted on what they say. I googled it and all i can find is thats it's an indication you may have diabetes. Well i know i have that 🙄

Don't quote me on this but I went to see a doc a few weeks ago for a medical for DVLA and one of the questions was "are there any glucose in your urine today" just had a yes or no box to check, I arrived at appointment with a sample and although I didn't see exactly what she used to me it looked like she was using a ketostix thing, so maybe it's a phrase used to say do you have ketones? Like I said don't quote me on this!!

Don't quote me on this but I went to see a doc a few weeks ago for a medical for DVLA and one of the questions was "are there any glucose in your urine today" just had a yes or no box to check, I arrived at appointment with a sample and although I didn't see exactly what she used to me it looked like she was using a ketostix thing, so maybe it's a phrase used to say do you have ketones? Like I said don't quote me on this!!

No, she was probably using one of the glucose testing versions - the type that Tez dips in his coke in fast food restaurants!😱🙂

Your blood sugar at the time might have been allright, but glucos eint he urine indicates that the blood sugar has been high at some point in the previous few hours. Usually people spill glucose into the urine when they go over 10, but others have lower threasholds, personally as soon as I go above around 8 I start to spill glucose.

The renal threshold varies from person to person so you may start showing glucose anywhere between 5.0 and 15.0, or even outside these limits. In the early days there were only glucose tests available for home use. When I started testing off my own back (Types Is had the same problems with gettingstrips then as Type IIs have nowadays) I found that I did not show glucose until 10.0 and had >2% at 12.0! A non-diabetic friend shows glucose in their urine after a bowl of sugar puffs but with a transient blood glucose barely above normal. Your GP should arrange more tests. Kidney problems tend to show as protein in the urine - did they test for this (simple dip test)?

I had a antenatal clinic appointment last week and was told I had +++ glucose in my urine and I asked what it meant because I didn't know either and they said 'it means your diabetic which we already know'. So I don't think it's anything to worry about, my levels were okay that day but had been a bit high before then. Hope that helps

Emma x

The sticks they use are multi test strips. They look for all sorts of things like blood, glucose, ketones, protein and I think pH (acidity) to name a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back