Glucosamine

Status
Not open for further replies.

John

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi All
I'm new here and have type 2. My question is that I suffer from arthritis and have recently had a brain haemorrhage. I used to use Glucosamine which gave me relief but now I'm diagnosed diabetic I was wondering if its OK to use Glucosamine. At present I have stopped taking them. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks
John

hi john, rather a grey area there!! i would ask your doctor or diabetes nurse to be on the safe side. my sister-in-law is type 2 and was given glucosamine for arthritis from her doctor, when i asked my doctor for it he said i couldnt take it because im diabetic!! dont know if its because im type 1...? maybe another member can shed some light on this for both of us. by the way welcome to the forum, im a newbie too.

welcome both of you , afraid i cant help on the topic but hello anyway x

Definately check with someone in your medical team who knows your history. It may also be worth discussing with a pharmacist if you can't get to your GP/DSN straight away.

i am type 2 and i take glucosamine. i asked my doctor if it was ok and he said it was ok but he couldn't prescribe it if i wanted to take it i had to buy it myself which i do. btw i buy mine mail order as it is much cheaper, have a good day🙂

vaguely recall that it is something to do with it effecting how your body reacts to insulin think it makes your body less sensitive however this is from memory and the evidence from what i can recall was not conclusive.

it might be the case of talking it over with your doctor, taking the supplements and then assessing whether it is having an adverse effect

know that i've taken them in the pass with me personally having no side effects but each person is different

vaguely recall that it is something to do with it effecting how your body reacts to insulin think it makes your body less sensitive however this is from memory and the evidence from what i can recall was not conclusive.

it might be the case of talking it over with your doctor, taking the supplements and then assessing whether it is having an adverse effect

know that i've taken them in the pass with me personally having no side effects but each person is different

Here's a (rather technical!) report on the issue, which appears to be saying that it's OK as long as you're not a rat🙂

http://www.ukmicentral.nhs.uk/therapeu/faq_pdf/glucosamine.pdf

Hi All

Thanks for your welcome and replies. Wow Northerner you ain't kidding it is rather technical almost a different language. I think I'll leave Glucosamine alone till I see my GP or nurse but thanks all for advice.

Cheers
John

Welcome from me too. When in doubt about something it is always better to check.

My husband has osteo arthritis and we have recently found one of those blanket supports helps to keep wieght off feet and legs helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back