GlucoRxgel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wendyb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi has anyone tried GlucoRxgel as a treatment for a Hypo? I have just been given some information about them and I wondered if they are any good and also how many tubes do you need to raise sugars during a hypo? I have previously used GlucoGel which I find pretty foul, and it takes 2 tubes to to raise my sugar levels sufficiently.

I think these were put on my repeat prescription a couple of years ago but I have never ordered them as I am happy using Jelly Babies which work well for me provided I chew them thoroughly before swallowing, so that they start releasing in my mouth.
Whilst I do get quite a lot of hypos they are usually very mild and respond well, so I tend not to need anything special, just munch a JB or two and carry on with what I was doing. Apart from the green ones (controversial I know), JBs taste quite pleasant so I am happy to stick with them.

PS. My definition of a bad hypo is one that I have to treat with a green JB. 🙄

Reactions: Tdm
Tut tut @rebrascora Reported for Green Jelly Baby Hate!

(Joking, obvs :D )

@Wendyb I’ve only tried HypoStop and it was vile. I can’t imagine any of the other gels taste much better. For swift, concentrated hypo treatment, I use the Lift Gluco Shots (nice, fruity taste, tiny bottle) or a 150ml can of regular sugar Coke (branded as the others have reduced their sugar). Appletizer also do a 150ml can that’s around 17g carbs.

I used to carry Glucogel tubes around with me when we were narrowboating- until the day I had to use it. No litter bins at locks so the empty tube went back in my pocket where it caused a right old mess! From then on it was Lift chews in a nice tidy container. But I keep wine gums and/or jelly snakes at home.

Thanks everyone for the replies, I use Jelly Babies mostly but find the Glucogel tubes easier and lighter to carry when walking or kayaking. JJay I totally agree about the difficulty where there's no bin, I've had a sticky mess too but now take a little washable bag. I thought the GlucRXgel might have been more pleasant as they have raspberry flavour etc.

GlucRXgel is ok, not such a bad taste! It works too! It is available on prescription.

I’ve only ever heard (from basically everyone) that they aren’t very palatable, so I’ve never been keen to try them!

Full sugar drinks are harder to come by (and a fraction of the strength) these days - but I still use original Coca Cola (10gish of carbs per 100ml)

Or Haribo / Skittles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back