Glucometer readings

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanoni1972

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi I would be very grateful for anyone who could reassure me what the three different readings on the glucometer mean. I was only diagnosed at the end of last month and given my meter and info on Friday this week. I have started recording straight away but I cant find any explanation in the info given to me about what the 3 different numbers mean and which is the most important or if they are all important I'm giving myself a headache worrying whether I'm doing something wrong or not.
My readings so far have been as follows
Sat 00.15am 17.4mmol Glu 01:21 Ket 05-3 before food 02.47am 18.0mmol Glu 03:55 Ket 05-3 afterfood 08.02am 16.5mmol Glu 09:09 Ket 05-3 On waking up 19.00pm 15.09mmol Glu 20:09 Ket 05-3 before food 21.41pm 14.9mmol Glu 22.48 Ket 05-3 after food Sun 00.35am 14.4mmol Glu 01:45 Ket 06-3 before sleep 08.48am 15.5mmol Glu 09:55 Ket 06-3 on waking up
Grateful for anyone who can help.:confused:

I assume you have been given a monitor because you are on gliclazide which is a medication which encourages the pancreas to produce more insulin. However it is still recommended that dietary changes will also be needed but caution is needed about reducing carbohydrates too quickly and too much. Have you been told to check ketones if your glucose level is high as it would not be something people would normally except if glucose levels were high or they felt unwell.
The times you are testing seem to be through the night so do you have an upside down day?
The glucose levels you are quoting are high but it is early days.
You would be aiming for no more than a 2-3mmol/l increase from before you eat to 2 hours afterwards, if it is more than that then your meal is too carb heavy. Once levels start to come down you would be aiming at no more than 8.5mmol/l 2 hours after your meal.
I'm not sure what the ketone test results mean.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I have been eating small portions of approropriate carbohydrates, protiens and veg and fruit according to the advice since I was given my monitor, but wonder if I'm being to restrictive as I have been feeling unwell before bed time a little lightheaded and a little nauseous. My cholestorol and Bloodpressure are high currently as well but I don't have a blood pressure monitor yet, hopefully next week. My days and nights are all over the place because I care for my 18yr old Autistic Daughter who has no set sleep routine because of trauma and nightmares. I am doing my best to try to eat on a regular schedule though. I just don't know what the 3 different readings mean. Is the mmol one the most important one what is the Glu one?

Hi and welcome.

The readings you are getting are rather high and need to come down ideally below 10. Slowly reducing your carb intake together with the medication should help this. I too would guess they have given you Gliclazide but if you can tell us what medication that would help.
You are misunderstanding your meter display as regards the Glu and Ket numbers. The Glu numbers appear to be the time which looks to be consistently just over an hour ahead of the time you are taking the readings, so the time setting on the meter needs adjusting. The Ket display is telling you that your BG levels are high and advising you that you should be testing for Ketones at this level. The numbers after it are the date ie 05-3 is 5th March and 06-3 is today, so it looks like the date is right but the time is an hour ahead.
Hopefully that alleviates some of your your concerns. If yr Dr/nurse haven't given you a means for testing ketones.... usually some urine strips, then you might want to ring and ask them to prescribe some with your levels being consistently so high or you can buy them over the counter in most pharmacies for about £5 for a pot of 50 or is it possibly 100.... it's a lot anyway, so not overly expensive in the scheme of things. The popular brand is Ketostix so asking the pharmacist for those should ensure you get the right thing.

When you mention feeling unwell and nauseous it is really important that you can test for ketones because it is possible that you may be Type 1 and not Type 2 and therefore at risk of diabetic ketoacidosis. If you can get hold of some Ketostix today I would feel a lot easier about your situation. There will usually be a pharmacy open in one of the big supermarkets but you might need to ring round to locate one. If you manage to get some, can you test and let us know the result. If I remember rightly, you collect some wee and dip the strip for 15 seconds and then let it develop for a further time period but the instructions will be in with the strips..... just wanted to point out that you need to follow the instructions carefully to get the most accurate result.

Just to explain things a little better. Diabetes is diagnosed by a blood test called an HbA1c. A reading of 48 or more gets you a diabetes diagnosis but doesn't indicate the Type. There is specific testing which can be done to confirm Type 1 but it takes time and needs to be requested and usually they make an educated guess off clinical presentation. So if you are overweight and of a certain age then they might assume you are Type 2 particularly if you also have an unhealthy lifestyle. If you are a child or young adult they will assume Type 1, but if you are not too overweight but a more mature adult they will often still assume Type 2. Things which might point more towards Type 1 are sudden onset of symptoms, a very high HbA1c especially if it was checked and found to be normal within the last year of so and sudden or unexpected weight loss. I am guessing you have a high HbA1c result since your blood glucose levels are so high.
Can you tell us a bit about how your diagnosis came about and as I mentioned above, what medication they have given you?

Hi, thank you for your reply, yes I am on Gliclazide temp. until my numbers come down. Thankyou so much for this info. was so confused. My DB nurse wants me to do a urine sample next week and following those results may give me ketone tests as well as blood pressure monitor. Thank you so much, you have helped me worry a little less.

I had been feeling generally unwell since I had covid last summer and also take HRT and antidepressants due to Hysterectomy at 39. So unfortunately I was putting my symptoms down to that for a long while, (tiredness, thirsty, dry mouth, longterm thrush) but then I started to get numb feelings in my feet and had pain when walking so saw the doctor who sent me for an xray only to confirm arthritis in my knee. Was going to follow up with an mri but then I looked up my symptoms on the net and asked if it could be diabetes so they then tested me about 3 weeks ago, (high result 114?) & again week ago to confirm (again high result 117) Then saw DB nurse on Friday this week who prescribed the Gliclazide temp. hoping to transfer me on to Metformin(?) when numbers come down. I think she said she wasn't worried about ketone after testing me in surgery, but have another appt. on Wednesday so will check then.
I'm 50 in April 5ft 7in and currently weigh 130kg and not very active due to arthritis. Guessing that would be why they've said type 2.

I really don't know all the circumstances surrounding your diagnosis but if you were to be Type 1 rather than Type 2, diabetic ketoacidosis can develop very quickly and it needs emergency treatment immediately as your blood is becoming toxic which can lead to organ damage and coma.
I don't want to alarm you but just to make you aware that if you start to feel really unwell, particularly abdominal pain, vomiting and/or difficulty breathing and if your breath starts to smell funny, like pear drops, please don't hesitate to call 999 and tell them that you are diabetic with possible DKA.
You may be fine for weeks or months but if it develops, it all happens rather quickly, so being able to test for ketones and knowing what to be aware of is really important.

As a carer I know that there may be a temptation to ignore your own health problems in order to care for your daughter but this is one situation where you need to look after yourself in order to look after both of you.

I know the above info is scary and dramatic and possibly not relevant in your situation and if it is any consolation I turned out to be Type 1 and didn't develop ketones but many Type 1 diabetics do end up as an emergency admission and some in a very serious condition because they don't spot the signs, so forewarned is forearmed.

I say this mostly because of you mention feeling unwell and if this coincides with when your BG levels are highest it could be an indication that ketones are developing. It would be worth testing when you feel unwell and making a note of those readings for your nurse.

Sorry, our posts crossed, so you have answered some of my concerns now although being overweight and inactive doesn't rule out Type 1 and it is interesting that you mention Covid because there seems to be a link between it and the development of diabetes and in fact it is believed that Type 1 is often triggered by a viral infection, but the Covid virus has pushed BG levels up for Type 2 diabetics as well, so it still could be either.

Yes, your HbA1c is very high at 114 and 117. Mine was 112 and 116 at diagnosis. Normal non diabetic range is under 42 and between 42 and 47 is what is termed "at risk of diabetes" or "prediabetes" and as I said 48 gets you a diagnosis, but as you can see, you are currently way above that at the moment. If it is any consolation we have some members who were much higher still. I think the highest was mid 150s but that really is extremely dangerous territory. You definitely want to be seeing numbers going down and not up! Hopefully the Glic will work alongside a steady carb reduction, which can in itself be a very powerful tool if your pancreas is still producing insulin, but if the beta cells have been depleted to too great an extent, then the Glic will not work.

Just to add the numbers you get from an HbA1C test are mmol/mol but those from your monitor are a spot test giving you the level at that moment in time and are in mmol/l so are different.
But generally the higher the HbA1C result the higher your spot readings are likely to be until the medication and dietary measures start to take effect.

Ho @zanoni1972 and welcome to the forum. The positive thing is that you have been given a meter.....the negative thing is that you have not been told how to get the best from using it! Never mind, at least we can help with that.

You have been given a meter which measures both blood glucose and blood ketones. As a general thing, T2's do not have a problem with ketones unless your blood glucose levels are very high and as such it is unusual to be given a meter which will measure them. So I will try and simplify things by suggesting that the first thing you get to understand is what the blood glucose readings mean.

For somebody without diabetes, blood glucose levels will vary from around 4mmol/l to 9mmol/l through the day. They will be highest after eating as the carbohydrate in your food is converted to glucose but will begin to fall as your pancreas reacts to the higher level and produces the insulin needed for the glucose to be absorbed, as fuel, into your body. If for some reason or other that does not work properly, then your blood glucose goes up and you get a diagnosis of diabetes. As a general thing, your blood glucose needs to average above about 8mmol/l for that to happen.

So lets look at your readings.

They are entirely consistent with a diabetes diagnosis. Always in double figures which means the average is going to be well above 8mmol/l. As such the HbA1c results of 114 mmol/mol and 117 mmol/mol which are a long way above the diagnosis of 48 mmol/mol, are not surprising.

What do these results mean? One thing for sure is that if something is not done to bring them down you are running a risk of complications down the line that you could well do without. Looks like your surgery recognises this by putting you on gliclazide, giving you a meter, and asking you to come back for further monitoring. It all has the objective of getting your blood glucose down to nearer normal levels.

There are, basically, four things you can do to get your blood glucose down. lose weight (if you need to), reduce the amount of carbohydrate you eat, increase the exercise you do and take medication. Quite how you tackle it depends on you. There are no rules, you have to work out how to fit things into your life. The real strength of having a meter is that as you experiment you can quite quickly see what is working. You do not have to wait for another HbA1c test in three months.

The most spectacular thing is the effect of what you eat. Test before a meal, and, if you test an hour later you should see a much higher blood glucose. test an hour later and it should be coming back down again. To cut down on the testing, normal advice is to test before eating and two hours after with a target of the second reading being not much more than two units above the first. You can experiment with amounts and type of carbohydrate till you find what your system can cope with.

My top tip is to start to keep records right from the beginning.... Date, time, blood glucose reading alongside a food diary detailing what you ate and when you ate it. By looking at the two together you can begin to see the patterns that will help you to work out a plan. Does not have to be complicated. Although there are apps available, I use my trusty old Mont Blanc fountain pen and hard back note book to record things. OK, I then feed the info into a database to do some analysis but you do not have to be that sophisticated.

Hope that helps to put a bit of a perspective on things.

You have been given a meter which measures both blood glucose and blood ketones.
That is not necessarily the case @Docb The meter is most likely just advising that ketones should be checked because BG levels are high. The basic meters supplied by surgeries rarely have a ketone measuring facility, just the warning/alert to test your ketone levels and Ketostix should be provided to facilitate that.
As I mentioned in my first post, the reading after or possibly under the Ketones alert is the date. When BG levels drop below 14 I think, the Ketone alert will not illuminate and the risk of DKA is minimal, hence no prompt by the meter to test for ketones.

Thank you all for your replies, I am definitely happy that I came to talk to you all. I have started with changes to my diet and daily routine, plus currently 5 tests a day {recording all my results and the foods that I am eating} I am overweight due to not being able to exercise very well due to arthritis, but hopefully weight loss through sticking to the healthy eating will help me get down to a weight where I can exercise more comfortably and things can hopefully only improve from there.
Just for info the monitor I have is a Glucomen areo2K which is a Blood Glucose and B-Ketone Self-Monitoring system.
I will continue to self test if I feel unwell, and will mention it to the nurse when I speak to her again on Wednesday.274976866_4859934407452093_7187223553554551689_n.jpg

My readings so far have been as follows
Sat 00.15am 17.4mmol Glu 01:21 Ket 05-3 before food 02.47am 18.0mmol Glu 03:55 Ket 05-3 afterfood 08.02am 16.5mmol Glu 09:09 Ket 05-3 On waking up 19.00pm 15.09mmol Glu 20:09 Ket 05-3 before food 21.41pm 14.9mmol Glu 22.48 Ket 05-3 after food Sun 00.35am 14.4mmol Glu 01:45 Ket 06-3 before sleep 08.48am 15.5mmol Glu 09:55 Ket 06-3 on waking up

Looks like the way they lay out the history is a bit confusing! It also looks like your meter is set an hour late?

Sat
00.15am 17.4mmol 01:21 [time] 05-3 [date] before food

02.47am 18.0mmol 03:55 [time] 05-3 [date] afterfood

08.02am 16.5mmol 09:09 [time] 05-3 [date] On waking up

19.00pm 15.09mmol 20:09 [time] 05-3 [date] before food

21.41pm 14.9mmol 22.48 [time] 05-3 [date] after food

Sun
00.35am 14.4mmol 01:45 [time] 06-3 [date] before sleep

08.48am 15.5mmol 09:55 [time] 06-3 [date] on waking up

It looks like the Areo 2k is capable of blood ketone checks, but you would need different strips for that (individually foil wrapped). Blood ketone strips are usually very expensive - over £2 each, so should only be used when needed.

Though your results remain high, the rises after foods seem OK. It might be helpful for you to check earlier after meals - a maximum of 2hrs, and sometimes at 1hr, just to make sure you aren’t missing an initial high post-meal bump.

Thank you all for your replies, I am definitely happy that I came to talk to you all. I have started with changes to my diet and daily routine, plus currently 5 tests a day {recording all my results and the foods that I am eating} I am overweight due to not being able to exercise very well due to arthritis, but hopefully weight loss through sticking to the healthy eating will help me get down to a weight where I can exercise more comfortably and things can hopefully only improve from there.
Just for info the monitor I have is a Glucomen areo2K which is a Blood Glucose and B-Ketone Self-Monitoring system.
I will continue to self test if I feel unwell, and will mention it to the nurse when I speak to her again on Wednesday.View attachment 20261
I have the same meter but I do hate the fact that they always put 5.5 on the display on these boxes:rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back