Status
Not open for further replies.

Amyfaith

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi everyone,

So I think I already know the answer to this, but my glucometer (about 2 months old) is starting to act a little funny. Well, maybe. Basically, it’s given me identical results for the last two days - like, the same number, fasting, pre meal and post meal. 5.9s across the board - about 10 separate tests. Barring some odd miracle, that can’t be right. Some control solution is in the post from our favourite river-named retailer as I can’t get any locally, but is this a battery issue? Or have I just got a bum meter? I have changed out the batteries, which leads to a one-off different reading, but then it goes back to insisting on 5.9. Ideas?

TIA!

Try either testing a sugary liquid by sticking the strip in it, or sticking your finger in a sugary liquid then resting the finger, and see if you get a high reading. Might give an idea before the control solution comes.

Ooh, good idea! Will give that a go.

Maybe ask the doctor to prescribe you a second meter of the same type? [They are pretty cheap, as medicines go...]
You can then check the one against the other*, and
  • if the first is failing then you can recycle it
  • or if the first is working the same, then you can keep it as a backup meter (perhaps for use in the car).
* within the usually-expected ±15%

If you contact the manufacturer they will likely send you a replacement meter free of charge, especially if you haven't had it long. They should also supply control solution. They make most of their money from the test strips so are usually keen to support customers who have problems with their meter, as it is a competitive field and they don't want to lose customers.
Out of curiosity, which meter do you have? I certainly agree that so many identical readings over a sustained period has to be beyond coincidence.

This was my thinking. It’s an Accu Chek instant (self funded, because type 2s still don’t get ‘em prescribed without insulin). I’ll find a contact for Roche and see what they can do. I’ve reset it today and it’s acting a bit more normal and giving me what seems to be more typical for me, but it does make me question my numbers (more than I was, but that’s a me problem!).

Accuchek gave me a 2nd meter for free after I asked, as well as control solution. As @rebrascora says the income is from the strips; the meters are seen as loss leaders.

Yep, they’ve replied to my email asking for further info (by phone… you’ll have to imagine my rolling Elder Millenial eyes), but will be sending me some control solution for free, which is very kind of them. I’ll be calling them tomorrow sometime - full on marking season at work, so not had the time today!

If you use a local pharmacy they may do a BG test for you so you can do a side-by-side teat. Any nurse in GP practice could also do this but sightings are rare! :(

Not to mention trying to get an appointment at all these days is almost like winning the lottery…!

Not to mention trying to get an appointment at all these days is almost like winning the lottery…!

We could start a League Table with l Bronze, Silver and Gold medals at 25, 50 and 100 points respectively.

1. Speak to a receptionist
2. Speak to a nurse
4. See a nurse or speak to a GP
7. See a GP
10. See a diabetes consultant
15. Have an eye check
20. See a podiatrist

Can people think of any more?

We could start a League Table with l Bronze, Silver and Gold medals at 25, 50 and 100 points respectively.

1. Speak to a receptionist
2. Speak to a nurse
4. See a nurse or speak to a GP
7. See a GP
10. See a diabetes consultant
15. Have an eye check
20. See a podiatrist

Can people think of any more?
Diabetes bingo!

How about: get to a number lower than 40 in the telephone queue? “You are number 44...sorry, the queue is now closed.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back