Glucagen kit question

Status
Not open for further replies.

aymes

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I've had a couple of rather stealthy hypos recently, in that I've dropped into the 1s without noticing, or higher hypos that I've felt really bad with. To date I've never had a hypo that I couldn't deal with myself but I am a little worried so I'm going to give the colleagues I'd trust to do it a little glucagen instructions reminder. All the advice I've had from my DSN has been that it should go in the thigh, and that's what the instructions say too. Now, some of my male colleagues are concerned about this, trying to get to the thigh of an unconscious female colleague etc! Does anyone know if it can be injected elsewhere, stomach for example? I'm guessing because it's a longer needle arms wouldn't be suitable, can't think of a reason why stomach wouldn't be ok but thought I'd see if anyone knew for sure....?

I would think that it doesnt really matter to be honest - if its an emergency situation then just put it in a fleshy part. Muscle is better - but doing it somewhere else wont hinder the treatment. I also think that the males who are worried about seeing your thigh wont be thinking too much about it at the time...🙂Bev

Ah but Bev, you've not seen my thighs.... 😉

They are quite traditional 'English gentleman' types so I can see why they'd feel uncomfortable with it. They'd absolutely do what needed to be done though, just anything I can say to make them less worried about it the better!!

Hi. The only time I've ever needed one is when my husband found me unconscious next to him in bed. I was pregnant with my 3rd child. He phoned for an ambulance and to save my dignity (I don't wear pj's!) they injected it into my arm and it worked fine. I think like Bev says, it's an emergency situation so it doesn't really matter.

Allison x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back